Chapter 17

'Hey, John, Sherlock.' I said as I walked into the flat. 'Izzy's still... Well, she's stayed out with Arthur, but I just punched Harvey in the face and left him with the two of them.' I told them casually.

'I thought we agreed,' Said Sherlock, a mocking, sarcastic glint in his eye, 'No breaking boys noses when they annoy you!'

'Sherlock!' Exclaimed John. 'Its serious! You could've seriously hurt him! But, you didn't, I did you, because... You're too smart too... But then what's the point in...'

We all burst out laughing.

Mrs Hudson came in, and asked us what was so funny. I had sat down on the sofa next to John, and Sherlock was in his chair.

'Nothing!' I managed to get out, between laughing and barely breathing, to Mrs Hudson.

'Well, at least Sherlock is smiling again!' She said happily, and turned and went back downstairs.

I shrugged.

'So you just left without Izzy, you just left her there kissing that boy, whilst the other one stood there awkwardly after you punched him?' Said Sherlock matter-of-factly, after we had calmed down.

'Yep.'

'How'd you know they were kissing?' Asked John, slow as always. Sherlock told him that it was obvious, because of my slight awkwardness and choice of words, and the fact that he knew I wasn't going to go around kissing boys, and that I had punched Harvey - I wouldn't have punched him if it was unprovoked. It was obvious, actually.

'Well, that's another thing you have in common with your dad, isn't it?' Said John. In answer to our simultaneous, mirrored questioning looks, he went on and added, 'Well, you know how to get people to talk, neither of you... Go on dates, you'll take normal things that people do and end up... Well, reacting in a more... Over dramatic way than they expect. Yes, I did just call you both drama queens.'

We scoffed mockingly.

'I am not a drama queen, how dare you suggest such a thing?' I burst out, being as overly dramatic as possible, then laughed quickly, to show that I had just been joking.

'I've never know anyone to punch someone in the face because they wanted to kiss you. Usually something else happens...'

'Well, Harvey is the biggest dickhead you'll ever meet. He knew perfectly well that I wasn't interested.'

'Oh, well that makes it all okay, then, doesn't it?' Said John sarcastically, but he couldn't hide the smile.

'Well, don't tell me you've never had a girlfriend.' I said to John.

'He has, actually.' Said Sherlock. 'A lot of them.' John was giving him a death glare, silently telling him to shut up, but Sherlock ignored him. 'Yes, how many have there been now? Sarah the doctor, the one with the spots, the one with the nose, and the boring teacher, Jeanette, I remember her... Is that all? Well, if you ever need to read a soppy love story, read his emails. They're quite amusing, actually. So sad.'

I laughed. 'What about you?' I said to Sherlock. 'Never had a girlfriend?' I thought of Molly, but Sherlock's eyes said 'no'. 'Or a boyfriend? Because... That's... That's fine, you know,' I looked at John.

'No! John exclaimed, looking defensive and slightly offended, at the same time as Sherlock said, 'I know that's fine.'

'Aww, so defensive,' I said mockingly, smiling mischievously. 'Obviously, you're such a perfect match!'

'Charlotte, I've told people this a million times...' John spoke seriously, words I could tell he'd had to say more than once. 'I am not gay.'

'Well, what about you?' I asked Sherlock.

'I consider myself married to my work,' said Sherlock tonelessly. 'I don't have time for... Dating.' He spoke as if the word was alien to him.

'What about... In the past?' I didn't have to say that I was referring to my mother - he knew I was. I just didn't want to say it.

'Nothing,' he said. 'I have no memory of past relationships.'