2. The Island of Bricks

The inn was immaculate. Large, grey bricks formed into a beautiful home. A lake of sorts that slowly drifted into the ocean off the island. Boats were docked by the pier. Fire pits were available to visitors by the shore. Tall trees provided shade. It was a resort.

    Inside this mansion was wooden paneled walls with matching floors. Beautiful oil paintings covered the walls. An L shaped staircase leading to the second floor, which had an overlook of the first. By the staircase was a receptionist desk, next to it, a great room, furnished with couches and chairs for visitors to sit next to the stone fireplace.

"Kristi, I believe Penelope wanted to see you as soon as possible, she should be in the kitchen," the doctor said. His niece clapped her hands together in excitement.

"Oh gosh, I missed her!" She immediately turns to a door and enters.
I am confused as to what to do, so I look at the tall man before me. He looks down to my eyes.

"I'll show you your room." He places Kristi's suitcases by the reception desk, briefly saying hi to the girl working.

"Can I get the key to room 11."

     After the girl gives him the key, I follow him up the stairs. I was expecting to follow him through the turns and twist of the hallways but he stops at the very first room. I am confused. He slips the key into the door and unlocks it, swinging the door open.

"Floor, room." He points to the first number on the door, then the second number. Floor one, room one, 11.
I nod, as if reassuring him. I enter and thank him.

"I would wait to ask you, but I am a very busy man," he begins, following me into my room.

     The room had a large canopy bed on my right, a dresser on my left, and across from me was a large window with two comfortable chair beside it. I place my bags on the bed and turn to see the intimidating man close the door behind him.

"I...I want to ask you a few questions. If you don't mind."

I shake my head, but fear and excitement are exploding in my chest.

"Not at all." I sit in one of the window chairs, he sits across from me.
I tug on my shorts - which were a little too short - awkwardly. He glares at me.

"Your brother, what is he like?" His voice filled with worry. I couldn't help but chuckle. 

Kristi's uncle had raised her from the age of 15 after her parents died. Dr. Struhst would be giving Kristi away at her wedding. He was like her father so it was normal for him to ask about Will, however I could tell he had already made up his mind about my brother.

"He's a good man. Honest, caring, always puts others before himself, that's actually a flaw." I laugh nervously. Mads continues to stare me down. His dark brown eyes piercing into my skin. This man could interrogate people for a living. My heart was beating so rapidly that I let out a deep breath in hopes that he wouldn't notice. 

"I mean, ever since we were kids, he's always been there for me, for my family, for his friends. I guess that's why he became a cop," I continue as the doctor nods. I begged myself not to babble endlessly.

"A cop? Kristi didn't tell me that. How long has he been a cop?"

"Five years. He's really good at his job."

"What are his dislikes?" 

This was odd question. I just was taken aback, but with his dark brown eyes staring at me like a predator to its prey, I answered without hesitation as if wanting to please him. What is wrong with me?