Chapter Thirteen: Birthday.

7:16 am, 11th of December, Monday.

I woke up. I sat up and remembered the dream. I turned over and expected to see Johnny laying there, asleep. But, that wasn't the case; instead, the bed was empty. That was when I realized it wasn't a dream. I felt a tear roll down my face. I wiped away that tear, along with my misery. I gave myself an oath; that I will not let what happened, ruin my twentieth birthday.

I got up, showered and got ready. I put on a pair of black denim pants, a cream sweater with a brown ski jacket with fur around the hood, over the top, and thigh high black boots.

I headed down to the lobby and was about to go out the door when a voice called out to me.

"Leah! Leah!" I recognized the voice straight away, Elizabeth Carter, our assistant.

I spun around and saw here running towards me. She was caring a yellow envelope.

"Johnny left this for you. He said if I was to see you, that I'd have to give this to you." She said, a little out of breath. I took the envelope, flashed her a fake smile and walked away.

"Leah!" She yelled across the lobby. I turned around to face. "If you need anything; someone to talk to, I'm here." She smiled and I smiled in return.

I walked out into the cold; it was snowing down heavily, I walked down the cold street, snow blurring my vision. I walked towards a Starbucks cafe and entered; the warmth of the cafe greeting me. I took off my coat and sat by the window. Some people and looked at me curiously and whispered to their peers.

I stared out the window for a moment; before a young woman came up to my table.

"Hi, I'm Jane, I'll be your waitress today. What would you like?" The small girl said, with a smile.

"I'll have..." I thought for a moment. "I'll have a grande, peppermint mocha," I said. She wrote on her notepad and walked away. I looked out the window and became lost in thought. Where are all those people going?, I thought, I guess I will never know.

My thoughts were interrupted once again when Jane walked towards me with my mocha. She set it down and walked away.

I took a sip of the warm beverage, the zing of the peppermint exciting my taste buds.

Then I remembered the envelope. I pulled it out of my pocket and tore open the flap. Inside was a wad of hundred dollar bills and a letter. I pulled out the letter and began to read.

Leah, I cannot see you for your birthday. I am to fly to Miami tomorrow morning.

Here is $4,000. So please, Leah, look after yourself.

Please know that I love you with all my heart... Never forget that. But, I need time. Time to sort out my troubled mind.

You have done nothing to cause my disconsolateness, it's me.

I don't know when we will see each other again.

But, I love you, Leah.

- Johnny.

I read the letter, over and over again. Trying to understand it all.

I folded up the letter and put it back into my pocket. I finished my drink, paid and headed home. I got into the elevator and arrived at the apartment.

I walked into the bedroom, pulled my suitcase out from under the bed, unzipped it, and threw up onto the bed. I swung open the wardrobe door; tears spilling from my eyes and falling off my chin. I started throwing all the clothes into the suitcase, along with all of the makeup from the bathroom.

Called a taxi, went to the airport and flew home to Sydney.