Chapter 3

The second I heard the doorbell ring, I bolted downstairs, opened the door and dragged Kimberly in. Her shoulder-length brown hair arranged into a loose french braid whipped around and searched the house for my mother.

   "Hey, Mrs. Summers!"

   "Hello, Kimberly. Say hi to your mother for me. Okay, dear?"

   Before Kim had the chance to answer, I pulled her aside, away from my mother's hearing range. 

   "So why exactly did you call? I mean, it must have been important if you made me come all the way over here to tell me about it," she whispered.

   I rolled my eyes and refrained from answering. We ran up the stairs and into my room where the Starbucks cup casually rested on my chestnut dresser.

   "Ah. I see you went on your daily Starbucks run without me."

   "Yeah. I woke up late and decided to skip school. Turns out it was the right thing to do," I said gesturing to the source of my hyperactive mood, "Look at the back where they write your name".

    Kimberly's face lit up as she read the message word for word.

   "Oooo. Who's Ethan! He seems so sweet!"

   "He's the new barista who was filling in for my cousin this morning".

   "Oh, look at that. He left his number," she exclaimed as she pulled out her cell phone

   "Kimberly! Don't. I swear to God  I will fu-"

   Before I could finish my sentence, she had dialled his number.

   "Oh hey. Ethan? Hi its Holland's friend Kim. Holland wanted to know if you wanted to hang out with us and some of our friends at the movies on Friday?"   

   I was just about ready to freaking strangle Kimberly. Neither of us had any experience with guys so I figured she would screw this up so bad that I would never be able to go back to that Starbucks ever again.  

   "Okay, sounds good. Feel free to bring some friends. Preferably guys.  Alright, see you then. Bye." She then hung up the phone. "Hey Holland, you busy Monday night?"

   I stared at her in awe and shook my head.

   "Nope," I responded.

   "Well you are now. Congratulations Holland Summers. I have just won you what may lead to your first date. You're welcome!"

   What the actual fuck had just happened?