Chapter 16

The whole "ride" to Kimberly's consisted of me singing the whitest white girl song on the face of the earth, "A Thousand Miles" by Vanessa Carlton. Ethan tried to hum the high instrumental parts but his voice failed to do so, leaving us with screechy background music. The whole neighborhood seemed to be out on their porches screaming at us to shut up. Seriously, what the hell are they doing outside in the beginning of March anyway? 

   On another note, he actually made it. He carried me on his back for fifteen minutes all the way to the house and didn't even stop to take a break. You'd think the guy would get tired at some point, I mean, I don't exactly weigh like ten pounds.

   We reached the end of my drive way and he bent down to let me off. I slid down his lanky, yet muscular back. 

   "God, it's freezing," I complained not being able to feel any of my extremities.

   "Here," he said as he lifted his lacrosse hoodie over his head, "put this on. I'm never cold."

   "Thanks. Are you sure you'll be fine?"

   "Yeah, feel my hands."

   I put my palms on top of his and tried to absorb the heat.

   "Shit," he yelled pulling his hands away, "It's like being touched by death."

   "Ha! Sorry!"

   "It's fine. Hey, I'll see you tomorrow right," he asked pulling me into a hug, "You can't leave me all alone in English with that psychotic teacher."

   "Don't worry. I'll be there."

   "Today was fun. Strange, but fun. Hopefully next time we won't get interrupted."

   I cocked an eyebrow and a smile started to form on his face.

   "And when exactly is going to be next time?"

   "Saturday night, my place?"

   "Alright. On one condition," I teased.

   He stroked my hair and chuckled, "And what is that?"

   "Starbucks."

   He kissed me, his arms wrapped tightly around my waist. He slowly pulls his lips away from mine.

   "Deal?" I whispered, our noses touching, mouths millimeters away from each other.

  "Deal."

   This time, I leaned in to give him a kiss goodbye but stopped, an inch away from his face.

   "Psych," I whispered.

   As I left him on the sidewalk, in his blue short sleeve V-neck, and walked towards the front door of Kimberly's house, I looked back to see Ethan's reaction. He stared at me with a look of slight envy and lust.

   "Well played Summers! Well played!" 

   "You get what you dish out Abrams!"

   Damn, I'm pretty smooth for a girl with no experience.