Chapter 5

I sat there in awe for a good two minutes before Mrs. Bullard noticed us awkwardly staring/smiling at each other.

   "Ms. Summers? You seem distracted. Do you and our new student happen to know each other," she asked suspiciously.

   "Barely," Ethan and I simultaneously answered.

   "Jinx," he muttered through a profoundly believable cough, "You owe me a tour of this hell hole."

   "Mr. Abrams. Are you aware that this 'hell hole' has the highest grade point average in all of Westfield?"

   "But Mrs. Bullard," I chimed in, "Westfield only has one high school!"

   Ethan and a couple of other classmates laughed causing Mrs. Bullard to become flustered.

   "Well, you two have just earned your selves an after school detention. And who ever laughed along with them."

   Great, so much for tonight. Out of all the days of the entire damn school year to get detention it has to be today, my conscience complained.

   "I guess tonight's plans have changed," Ethan stifled, "What do you say we make detention entertaining for once?"

   I had no idea what he had in mind but anything was better than sitting in a dark room for two hours copying notes on what not to do while in class. At this point in the semester, I was completely done with rules for the rest of my life. My conscience taunted me one last time as I evaluated the pros and cons, rebellion not being my best subject. 

   Come on, what's the worst that can happen?

Finally, the idea of skipping detention with a cute guy I just met seemed worth the possible consequences.

   "Whatever it is, I'm in."

~

   It turned out that the beautiful little bastard was also in my fourth period Science class and, of course, he sat beside me. Mr. Grove was currently teaching us about cellular mitosis which I found extremely easy so I took this time of immense boredom to devise a plan on how to get both of us out of this god forsaken classroom. I decided to let Ethan in on the plan through text message:

   Me: Bored?

   Ethan Abrams: Extremely.

   Me: Tell the teacher you have a guidance appointment. He won't ask you for a slip.

   Without hesitation he raised his hand anxiously.

   "Sir, I have a guidance appointment now. Can I leave?"

   Obliviously, Mr. Grove answered, "Of course. Does anyone want to show Mr. Abrams to the guidance office?"

   My hand shot up immediately.   

   "Thank you Ms. Summers. You two are excused."

   Now that's what I call a heist! 

   Holland Summers, coming up with badass yet genius plans since 1998. 

   Wow, that thought was so cheesy, it made me cringe. I kind of hate myself for thinking that now.     

   We walked out of class with our bags and books. We were clearly  not returning to Science until the next day.

   "Now, how about that tour?"