Epilogue

My restless and nightmare stricken sleep is interrupted by a knock at my bedroom door. I half-suspect it is him, after all, he never ended up coming to bed. I glance over at the clock hanging on the wall of our purple bedroom: two-fifteen. I roll myself out of bed with The Fault in Our Stars in my hand and stretch, rubbing my eyes, puffy from lack of sleep. I place Gus on my nightstand and proceed to stand up. My mental state is not so hot; I have PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder). Something about having both your mother and your best friend die and almost dying yourself in the span of a month when you are merely sixteen years of age kind of makes a girl go insane. That left me with permanently damaged lungs and a severe case of clumsiness. But that was six years ago; I should be over it by now.

Anyways, after being expelled from Westfield High because of our escape from the wrath of Mr. Walters, Ethan, Cameron and I decided that Canada wasn't really cutting it for us. So after we enrolled and graduated from Greencross High, right outside of Westfield, all three of us saved up some money and took a plane to New York City where we would be attending NYU. Cameron is majoring in Computer Science (who knew the guy had a brain), Ethan is majoring in English, and I am just about to graduate with a degree in Fashion Design.

That pretty much brings us to this moment; countless therapist sessions later and four years into university. I live with them in a loft on fifth avenue, just across the street from school. We graduate tomorrow, or today, I guess. June 19, 2020, also known as my twenty-second birthday. 

I adjust myself, fresh from disturbed slumber, and put a pair of Ethan's boxers on as well as his lacrosse hoodie which I still kept from the day I was naked in his closet. I open the door and make my way down the hallway of our loft, careful not to wake Cameron. I hear a thud coming from the window in the living room and, immediately, I run to the kitchen for a weapon. You think I would have learned my lesson with sharp knives already. I grab the closest chopping knife and head for the window in fear of what might be waiting on the other side. I slide the window open slowly, my body pressed up against the wall beside it, and jump through it, landing on the balcony.

No one seems to be up here, my conscience taunts. 

I walk slowly to the edge of the balcony beside the fire escape, still suspicious of the source of the sound. My fingers rest on the ledge separating my property from the city below and I crane my neck over it to see what nuisance awaits. 

His blue eyes stare up at me and relief fills my body. I look down to see him holding a tray of four Starbucks lattes as he makes his way up the fire escape and onto the balcony where I am standing, awaiting caffeine.

Why four, we are only three people.

"It's two o''clock in the morning. How did you manage to get me Starbucks?"

"Holland Summer, don't you dare question my methods of obtaining caffeine at odd hours of the night," he jokes through his signature smile. Something seems off about him; he looks a lot more anxious than usual.

I try to keep it casual, but I know something is up. "Shitload of whipped cream?" I ask, nostalgically quoting our past.

"Yes, shit load of whipped cream. Jesus Christ, just drink the fucking coffee," he laughs, clearly excited for something.

Its too early in the morning for this shit.

He selects a specific coffee from the holder and hands it to me. I suspiciously accept and discover that my latte seems a little light in weight.

"'Shitload of whipped cream'," I mock, "more like one-hundred percent whipped cream."

"Open it," he rushes.

"Okay, chill, E."

I peel the lid off of the half empty Starbucks cup only to find a small blue box at the bottom of the cup. My heart drops to my stomach when I realize what is happening.

"Oh my God," I whisper looking up from the cup, "Are you serious?"

He nods, smiling and taking the cup out of my hand. He grabs the box out of the bottom of the cardboard cup and gets down on one knee.

"I can't believe this is happening."

"Holland Marie Summers, will you-"

"Just shut up and put the ring on my finger you beautiful little shit!" I scream out of excitement.

He slides the engagement ring on my ring finger and gets up from the kneel. I grab his face with both of my hands and kiss him on the lips with utmost passion.

"IloveyousomuchHollandSummers."

"IloveyoutooEthanAbrams."

** Hey guys! If you like MOACC, be sure to check out my new romance novel Infinite Elektracity!!