Chapter twenty nine: Mission impossible complete

I unlocked the roof top door and slowly went down the stairs with ian following behind. "What do you think Matthew cooked for lunch?" Ian whispers to me as we both get to the bottom of the staircase.

I shrug and put my ear to the door. "Ya think he made some burritos?"

"I dunno, maybe." I answer not really caring. I could hear women laughing and I knew they were just about to enter the break room as the map says, should be to the left on my side. I twist the door knob and see it's a lightly dimmed hallway which was covered with black, Victorian wallpaper.

What the fuck is this? A horror movie. If there's a serial killer on the loose, they can kill Ian first. I stick my head out and look around to see no voices and a few shadows in the distance but we'll make it to ground level before they can catch us.

I pull the piece of paper out again and study the map. My hand runs around the area we are in and slowly moves towards the first floor eye view and I circle the area which the files of students are.

I can feel my heart skip a beat and I grip my shirt before taking a large breath in. I move out of the room steadily, giving Ian the look which he should be copying me. He nods and licks his lip leaning against the wall and shuffling quietly.

We make it to the next flight of stairs and we creep down quietly. I can feel my heart beating fast. My mouth starts to dry out and I can feel the same sweat return. The adrenaline pumping through me is breath taking, it's been such a long time since I've felt this before.

After avoiding a few creaky stairs we make it to the bottom of the stairs and I hold a hand for Ian so he knows not to go in front of me. "You know, popcorn is made from corn?" Ian giggles.

"I had no clue it was made from corn." I say sarcastically.

"I found out because it has the word 'corn' in it."

I fake gasp. "Who would've thought?"

"I know right?!" As soon as Ian's voice becomes loud, I whip myself around and cover his mouth.

"Shut up, Ian. We're going to get in trouble." I whisper shout to him which makes him give me a questioning look.

"Why? We can tell them we're trying to leave."

"We can't tell them we want to leave."

"Why?"

"Stop asking, I'll give you my dessert after dinner if you shut up or don't say anything." I offer. He nods. This guy is really childish, so childish I feel like I could take him to kindergarten and he'd fit right in. Like he was the missing puzzle piece to kindy.

~

We make it to the file room and find its locked. I'm about to kill someone since if I knew this I would have been prepared for everything and they seriously keep pretty strict security on this place. This office is more of a prison than the actual school.

I look at Ian. "What?" He asks innocently.

"Nothing." I glare at the door and put my head against the door thinking of an idea of how to get the door open but suddenly I start to lean forward and I fall into a pile of papers which makes me stand quickly.

"What were you doing?" Ian laughs. I look around and see him standing above me with a toothy grin.

"Figuring a way to get in. How'd you get in?"

"There was another door which leads into the other room."

"No wonder why I was sent here." I roll my eyes and push Ian out of the way. He looks at me with a puppy dog look and I turn to ask him. "Do you know how this works?"

"The door?" He walks towards it and holds the handle. "You open and pull it." As Ian reaches for the door handle but when he does suddenly an alarm goes off. Now I understand why they locked the door, even with a key it still would set alarms off.

I quickly scan for the letter and pull the draw reaching for the file I was after and grab it. I scan the map and I can hear rushing towards this room. My heart starts to beat and Ian starts to panic which is not helpful. He closes the door and starts to whimper.

My eyes light up and I grab Ian.

"Where are they?" A female voice asks.

"Damn boys." Another female staff curses.

"We'll let's go back and play chess." Another female voice cuts in. I can hear stomping around and I cover Ian's mouth so he doesn't squeal or any type of movement. My heart is beating so loud that I thought we we're going to get caught. After all, teachers have some sort of supernatural ability.

"You think they didn't take anything?" The first female voice says.

"I hope they didn't get far." The second female hopes.

I hope we do get away.

I can hear the door close behind them and I release my hand from Ian's mouth and he cries. "I'm sorry Phoenix~!" He shakily hugs me and I whack his head with the files. He releases me and opens the door.

I had pulled Ian into an area hidden behind a file case and it was big enough for the both of us which was good because Ian was going to get caught if there wasn't enough room. Ian peeks his head out and crawls out which I follow behind.

"What did you get from inside?" Ian wonders.

"I got a file." I smile. Ian claps his hand and we take the other door to leave. For a split second I could have sworn that I saw something about Ian change but I guess he's tired so of course.

~

The weekends come sooner than I thought and I lay in bed pissed out of my mind. My time of the month has already passed and I'm not feeling the right emotions to a situation. I stare at the files and start to flip through it.

This may be an invasion of privacy but war will go on if I don't try to to claim victory.

I shakily pull out his criminal record and gasp at it. My eyes scan the paper flipping it at every angle. My mouth goes dry and I stay silent. For real?! Did he swap the document or something? Did he predict the future or something.

I stare at the blank paper and fall off my chair. This time, I just slept.