Chapter Fifty Two: I'll race you

Ryan stands with me in front of the entrance. I can hear laughter and classy music playing inside. "You think we'll pass as rich people?" I wonder. Ryan gives me a look, blinking like it was the stupidest thing I've said this whole day.

"Rich? You're asking me about rich? You're made out of money!"

"I usually forget, kay? I don't like to act like a spoiled rich kid."

"That's my girl. Money is never the answer, unless it involves food." Ryan pats my back. "But if we're talking about clothing. We wouldn't pass."

Ryan wears a blue button up with black Evans and Jordans. I'm just wearing jeans, a shirt over a long sleeved shirt and some vans that are pretty old. I mean, it's been over two years since I've had them and I couldn't be stuffed going to the store to buy some new ones.

I pat Ryan's shoulder, getting the dust off and he does the same to me. "I think we're good." I nod. "We're just gonna be H and F anyways. And if we need to, just hold pinky fingers up as Patrick said, the higher it is, the fancier you are." I hold mine up and Ryan copies.

"True, true." Ryan nods. He raises his pinkie to the sky before putting it to his side.

We had gotten to the race course and since it was night time, we shouldn't really be expecting horses to be running. The place was filled with cars meaning something was happening in one of the rooms, a party or something. It was New Years, what was their to expect, gotta be something exciting happening. If not, it's just an ordinary day.

I look at Ryan who nods. I hold one of the handles to the door and Ryan takes the other handle, both of us opening the door at the same time.

~

"I don't understand what we're supposed to be looking for." Ryan scratches his head.

The place is like a ballroom. A huge chandelier hangs in the middle of the room and underneath is a bunch of food, spread out from one end to the other. A bar is set in the corner and it's filled with a bunch of people ordering alcohol. The place is split into two rooms, one outdoors and the other like a ballroom.

Outside is set with many tables that go a long way maybe close to the horse track. The ground is set with fake grass and fancy, old lamp posts. I walk around the area and hear my shoes clicking against the ground. I turn to Ryan who shrugs.

The room is hardly filled with people and I smile at each person who smiles at me. Everybody in this room aren't even wearing fancy clothing, they're wearing the casual shirt and jeans code. I turn back, hoping to see Ryan and instead I see some other guy.

"Ryan?" I call. I look around the area and see him at the bar, trying to order a drink. I approach the bar and see two people standing there, they serve the drinks and serve Ryan a glass of beer. I snatch the drink and hold it from him.

"What are you doing?!" I question.

"Getting a drink?" He replies.

"No, beersies." I say. I sip the drink and cough at the bitter taste. I hand the drink back to Ryan and begin to cough at it. "You're not even legal age to drink." I hold my tongue out and ask someone for water.

"I will be in ten months and thirty days." Ryan shrugs. "They didn't even ask for ID either." I take the water and chug all down. Rubbing my tongue against the roof of my mouth.