Chapter 1: Kasey Who

'Kasey,' Dad yells from the stairs.  'Wake up or I'll send K9 up there to poke you, same with you Tom!'
I groan and roll over.
'Don't wanna!' I yell back at him, then hear the sound of a robot coming up the stairs.
Quickly, I push the 'slide to kitchen' button next to my bed, and my bed opens up to reveal a trapdoor, where below is a slide.

An automated voice turns on, and says, 'slide starting in three....'
I position myself so I'm on top of the trapdoor.
'2...'

I brace myself.
'1...'

I close my eyes...
'0.'

And suddenly, just as K9 opens the door I'm riding down the huge slide, my hair flopping in the powerful wind and caught up in the motion of the supporting slide.  No matter how many times I do this it never gets old.
Soon, another trapdoor opens up and I fly downward to my empty chair at the kichen table, where everyone is sitting, arms crossed.

'Morning,' I say brightly, adjusting my seat.  'When's breakfast?'
'Right here,' said Dad, 'but you can't just use the slide to make your life easier all the time!'
'I thought that was what it was used for?' I said innocently, and Dad laughed.
'You win this time Kasey, but next time I'm disabling the slide,' he says.  I grin, and start eating my breakfast.

When we're all finished, Dad goes out to see if planets need help, and Tom and I go to the living room to play a game, Universe Trivia.
It's basically a game with questions about the universe.  We play this because Dad wants us to, to help us become good Time Lords/Ladys, and because Tom and I like to see who wins.

We start playing, and the first few questions are pretty good for me, until some tricky ones about Planet Nquaga come up that I haven't studied yet, however, Tom has, since he did a project on it once.
Tom smirks at me and I clench my fists, until I have an idea.

While Tom is glancing at his work, I peek at it and write the answers down.  I'm not cheating, I'm just....borrowing some of his work.

When we do the last question, I peek at Tom's work again, and he sees me, and narrows his eyes.
'Just stretching,' I lie, and quickly get on to checking the answers.

Luckily, I win, by three points.
'Hey, no fair! You cheated!' yelled Tom to me.                                                                                                                                        'I did not cheat, I just know the universe better than you do!' I responded.

'Children!' says Dad, and we jumped, never hearing him enter the room.
'I just got a call from a planet, we're going to be there for a long time.  And I really think you're going to like this one.'
Tom and I sat upright, our faces attentive, forgotting about the game.  We had never been to a planet for more than a week before, so getting to stay for a long time sounded really good.  I mean, really good. 

Dad let his statement hang for a bit longer, and eventually he continued.
'The planet is.....Earth.'
I gasped loudly in excitement, and Tom was jumping all over the TARDIS in glee.
'You mean it?' I managed to choke out.  'You really mean it?'
Dad nodded, laughing at our excitement.  'We're going right now, actually.'
He set the coordinates, grinned at us and pulled the lever.

I felt the familiar but wonderful sense of being pulled through space and time, and a wide grin shot up on my face as I grabbed the handrails for safety.
The TARDIS stopped, and I took in a sharp breath.
'Can I...' I asked Dad, and he nodded.
I opened the door.