Chapter 7- Shopping for Hogwarts

'Thankyou!' I say to the woman at the shop, and Tom hastily echoes me.
Dad's waiting for us outside, and he smiles at us as we exit the store.
'What next?' He asks.
I check my list that Dad wrote down.

'Let's see....we got the books, the cauldrons, the robes and the pets...( I grin at my new owl, Helena) so all we need are.....the wands.'
A wand.  That's what I've been waiting for. 

We quickly go to Ollivanders Wand Store and I enter apprehensively.  If I get a snakeskin wand.....

When we come in, Ollivander smiles at us.

'Ah, young Kasey and Tom Who,' he says, grinning creepily.
I like him already.
'Ha Tom, he put my name first!' I yell, jumping up and down.
Tom backs away from me.

'You're not my sister,' he says, and Ollivander laughs.
'Wait a minute....' I say, thinking of something.  'How do you know our names?'
'Oh, the school called.  Don't worry, your secret is safe with me.  Anyway, let's measure you for your wands, shall we!'
He comes torward us with a measuring stick and begins to measure our arms, legs, chest, tops of arms, and a lot of other...places.

Eventually, when he's done, he goes into his 'wand room' and comes back out with a stack of wands for me and a stack of wands for Tom.
'Alright then, who'd like to go first?' asks Ollivander when he sets the wands out, and Tom leaps forward.
'Me!'
'Alright then, I'll pick a wand from your pile and then just...give it a wave and see what happens.'
Ollivander looks at all the wands carefully, then picks out a medium sized one with strange markings on it, hands it to Tom, and he waves it.

I duck, expecting him to fail, but his wand just shoots out beautiful colors, and I watch them in awe.  When the colours fade away, it breaks my trance.
'How come he got the right wand first try!'

Ollvander ignores me (I don't like him anymore now) and instead speaks to Tom.
'This is a very rare wand Tom, a Time Lord wand.  I made it specially for Minerva, but she got another wand instead.  Now this wand is yours.'
He gently places it in his hand and I find my voice again.

'How come he get's McGongagall's wand?'
'Shut up!' Ollivander and Tom say at the same time, and Dad holds back a grin while I sulk.
Well, not for too long.
'Miss Who, your turn now.'
My anger turns to excitement as I walk up to the counter.

Ollivander inspects all the wands and chooses one, handing it to me.
It's medium sized like Tom's, but grey colouring for almost all of it, except the bottom bit, which was a light green that blended with the grey.

It looked beautiful, and I took a deep breath and flicked it.
The same thing that happened with Tom's wand happened to me, and I was too mesmerised to gloat.
Only for a second.
'I got it first try as well, and my wand looks better than yours, so bam!'

Ollivander ignored me, it looked like he was in a trance.
'Kasey, your wand is made of thestral hair, and it shares a core with only two other wands. The owners of these wands are said to be three witches that will work together with a few others to help defeat an unknown force.'
My jaw dropped.
'Who are...the other girls?'

Ollivander held up two wands indentical to mine.
'I haven't sold them yet.'
Dad breaks the silence.
'Come on kids, let's go.'
We pay for our wands, then walk out of the store quickly and quietly, and don't stop walking until we're home.