Chapter 23- Suspicions about Snape and Advanced Potions

Lily's POV
I walked with my friends toward the common room, still exhilarated about yesterday's Quidditch game.

As we walked there, we passed Snape's office. The door was open, and we looked in to see him sporting a partly healed large gash on his leg.

'Dang that three headed beast!' He cursed to himself. 'Why do all its three heads bite at the same time?'

He suddenly looked to see us all gathered at the door, and his face darkened.
'Out, all of you! Out!!'

We quickly scampered, but not before sharing a scared look with each other. What happened there?

When we got a good distance away from Snape, we finally stopped running and stared at each worriedly.

'Wow,' Harry said first, summing up the whole situation as usual.
'Why did Snape go to the three headed dog?' I asked. 'I thought we all agreed it was where the trapdoor was, and so it's guarding something....'

Harry interrupted.
'I think it's the strange package Hagrid got from Gringotts, Lily,' he says. 'He said it was on Hogwarts business, and it was in a very protected vault. Plus, remember that newspaper article? It said that the Gringotts vault was raided on the same day we went there, and the vault was emptied earlier that day,' he recited. 'Don't you see guys?' He asked, addressing all of us, and we all nodded.

'So that package is what the dog's been guarding...so why did Snape...do you think he...'
I couldn't finish the rest of my sentence, but the others knew what I was talking about.

'Stole it?' Finished Ron. 'Probably. You all know how mean and moody he is, he seems like the type to do this kind of thing.'
'Yes, but we don't have any proper evidence!' Remarked Hermione, and I could see Kasey smile out of the corner of my eye for some reason. 'Snape might've just been...checking on the three headed dog.'

She sounded unconvinced, and Ron rolled his eyes.
'Hermione, you and I both know that's not true.'
'Yes, but there could've been another reason!' She flashed back. 'Dumbledore trusts him, so don't be so quick to accuse people, Ronald Weasley!'
Ron rolled his eyes yet again but stayed silent, and Kasey spoke for the first time in a while.

'Well, Lily's going to Advanced Potions in a while, and she's quite good at...let's say coaxing information out of him, so Lily could try to see what happened.'
'How am I going to do that?' I asked nervously, and to my surprise Tom replied.
'You can just ask him about it in that voice of yours that makes him melt, and just keep doing that until he melts enough to ask you,' he says, smiling at me.  'I mean, you're Lily Alice Potter.  You can do anything!'

He claps my shoulder and walks off with Harry and Ron, while us girls stay, shocked.

'Wow,' I say.  'I don't think I ever told him my middle name..'
Kasey laughs.
'That's all you're gonna say?'
'Yep,' I reply.  'Now, I need to get to my Advanced Potions lesson.'

I wave goodbye and walk off to the Potions classroom, putting on my best smile for Snape.

I knock on the classroom door, and Snape opens the door almost immediately.

'Good evening, Professor,' I say, smiling. 
'Good evening, Miss Potter,' he says gently. 
I walk in and am surprised to see nobody else here other than me.

'Is anyone else coming, Professor?' I ask, and he shakes his head.
'The people who are in a Advanced Potions are so little that I can have private classes for each of them.  So please sit, Miss Potter,' he says, but I don't sit just yet.

'Before the lesson, Professor, I have...another question.'
'Go ahead, Li...Miss Potter.'

I frown at his slip of the tongue but quickly dismiss it.

'If I may ask, what were you doing in your office when we saw you there?'
He sighs, and I quickly berate myself.  Nice job Lily, great job at being subtle...
'I'm sorry Professor,' I quickly say, but he waves me off.

'No, no, I....should explain myself.  Do you know of the dog of which I was speaking of?'
I nod slowly.  'We...might've seen him when we were trying to escape from Filch..'
'Have you figured out what the dog is guarding then?' He asks, and when I shake my head he sighs.

'Good, you haven't got that far into the mystery yet.'
'You looked like you were trying to...steal the thing that the dog was guarding, Professor,' I say slowly, and he sighs yet again.

'I figured that was what you would think.  Believe me Lily, I was doing nothing of the sort.'
'Well then, what were you doing?' I ask, and he looks at me slowly, debating whether to tell me or not.  Finally he nods his head slowly, coming to a conclusion, and starts talking.

'I've had theories that...Professor Quirrell is going to steal the sto.....thing that the dog is hiding.'

I notice his other slip up as well, but I'm more concerned over his theory. I mean, Professor Quirrell! He's like the person least likely to do it!

But maybe that's what he wants people to think....

Hum...

'I saw him release the troll into the school, I think it was made to kill you and Harry for some reason. And I've been hearing him...talk to some other....undesirable person specifically about stealing the sto....thing that the dog is hiding.'

He slips up yet again, but yet again I'm more focused on what he's saying. He saw Professor Quirrell do all these things? I've got to tell the others...

'Wow..' I say softly, and Snape nods.
'So that's my evidence,' he says. 'But please don't do any more detective work...I know you are. I don't want you to get hurt....Lily,' he says to me.

I smile at him.

'Thanks Professor Snape,' I say. 
'I think the lesson should be ended here,' he says.  'We've wasted too much time.  We'll start proper lessons next week.'

I nod and pack up, but before I go Snape stops me.

'Thank you for trusting me, Miss Potter,' he says, and then actually smiles at me.

I smile back.
'Call me Lily,' I say, then exit the classroom.