Chapter 6- The Letter

I sat in my closet, bored.

Three months ago, when I went to the zoo and spoke to the snake, I thought the Durselys hadn't noticed that Harry and I were talking to the snake.  But Piers had, and he casually told Uncle Vernon about in the car, which was the cause of us getting locked up in our 'bedrooms' (closet and cupboard ) for the past three months. 

A knock on my door startled me.
'Get up girl, three months is over! Go get the mail, we've already got breakfast, you lazy child!'.
In the distance I could hear Aunt Petunia shouting similar things to Harry.
I grinned.  At least I could go out of my closet.

Opening the door, I got out, smiled at a glaring Uncle Vernon, and went with Harry to get the mail.
There were four letters, one for my uncle about taxes, one from Aunt Marge and....
I stopped in my tracks, and Harry frowned at me.  'What's wrong?'
'Look,' I whispered.
Harry looked at it and his eyebrows shot up.

The letters were to us.
One for 'Miss Lily Alice Potter, the Closet Above the Kitchen,' and the other to 'Mr Harry James Potter, The Cupboard Under the Stairs.'  They both had a fancy stamp on them.

But the thing that startled me most, other than the fact that we had mail, was the fact that they knew where we slept.  It was...creepy.

We came into the living room and Harry gave the two letters to our aunt and uncle.  Uncle Vernon held out his hand for the other two, but Harry didn't give it to him.
'They're for...us,' he said.
'That's rubbish!' said Uncle Vernon, taking the letters off us, and ripping them open.  'Who'd be writing to....'
He stopped as he looked at the letter. 

'Petunia!'
She looked at the letter and her face turned white.
'Oh no,' she said, looking scared.
Uncle Vernon grabbed the car keys.
'We're going, now!'

I frowned.  'Where?'
'Anywhere!'
His voice sounded mad and stressed.
How had two letters done this to him? I needed to see my one.

'Give me my letter,' I said to Uncle Vernon calmly.  'It was adressed to me.  It's mine, not yours.'
To my surprise, Harry backed me up.
'Yeah,' he said fiercely.  'Give her the letter, and give me mine too.'
Uncle Vernon looked from me to Harry, unsure what to do.

'Just go!' He yelled in the end, 'or you will stay in your rooms while we go.   And I'll leave them locked!'
With that he stormed away, and we all started to pack.

I wasn't really sure what to pack, I didn't really have anything, neither did Harry.  Finally I decided to bring my blanket which I'd been found on the doorstep with us, since it seemed to bring me luck.
When we were done packing, Uncle Vernon put all our stuff in the car and he drove off in the rain.

We were in the car for four hours, but eventually we got where we needed to go, which was, apparently, the sea.       Dudley chucked a tantrum at this point, and Aunt Petunia needed to calm him down, which took an extra half an hour.

And after hiring a boat and going on it to a hut in the middle of nowhere, it was nearly eleven o'clock at night.

There was only one bed and a couch there, which meant that Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon got to sleep on the bed and Dudley on the couch.
And Harry and I in sleeping bags on the floor.
As we lay there, I thought about this day, and how weird it had become.

And it was Harry and I's birthday at midnight tonight.  In twenty minutes now, actually.
Dudley began to snore, and I stealthily set the time on his watch to midnight.
Hearing a scratch behind me, I turned around to see Harry drawing a birthday cake on the floor.  I grinned at him, and joined in.

When we had finished it was one minute till midnight and Harry and I shared a loving glance. 
'Soon it's our birthday,' I whispered.

'In ten,'
Harry joined in.
'Nine,'
'Eight,'
'Seven,'
'Six,'
'Five,'
'Four,'
'Three,'
'Two,'
'One!'
Dudley's watch beeped, and Harry quickly turned it off so it didn't wake him, then smiled at me.

'Happy Birthday Lily,' he said.
'Happy Birthday to you too, Harry,' I said, and we hugged each other.
We were just about to go to sleep when the door burst open to reveal a giant, shadowly figure.
Uncle Vernon jumped up with a gun in his hand.

'Stay back!' He said.  'I'll shoot!'
'Oh, shut up Dursely, yeh great prune,' the figure said, advancing into the light for the first time. The figure looked like a giant, or at least giantlike.  He went up to Uncle Vernon and snapped his gun right in two. 

I fought the urge to applaud.
'Now where's 'Arry, an' Lily then?' the giant said, glancing around the room, before settling on Dudley.
'Ah, yeh're 'Arry then, got a bit chubbier since yeh were a baby, 'aven't yeh?' the giant said, peering at Dudley.
'I...I'm not Harry!' said Dudley, looking worried.
'I am,' said Harry bravely, stepping out from behind a corner.
'And I'm Lily,' I said, following my brother's lead.

The giant turned to look at both of us.
'Ah, there yeh two are.  Happy Birthday!  Got this for you, might've sat on it at some point, but.'
He pulled out a squished chocolate cake and handed it to us.

'Who..are you?' said Harry after a moment.
'Hagrid. Gameskeeper of the Hogwarts Grounds, but ye'll know all about Hogwarts, o' course.'
'I'm sorry..' I said slowly, 'but...we don't know anything about Hogwarts, sir.'
'What, never wondered where yeh mother an' father, Lily and James Potter, learn't it all from?' He laughed.
'Learn't what?' Harry asked curiously.

Hagrid's face suddenly darkened. 
'Yeh mean that this children...know nothing....about anything!'
He was adressing the Dursely's now, who were cowering in a corner.

'We know some things,' I said angrily.  'Like..we know math and stuff.'
Hagrid just waved the information off.  'Yeah, not that,' he said impatiently.  'Look, do yeh know how yer parents got killed?'
'Yeah...' says Harry.  'In a car accident, right?'
Hagrid's face darkens.

'Dursely!!!' He shouts, and they all shrink back into the corner more than they already were.
His voice softened as he looked at us again.
'They were killed by a....evil person.  Can't really say his name.'
'Does it have a lot of syllables?' I asked, and Hagrid chuckled.
'No, people don't like it say it, is all,' he said.
'Can you spell it?' Asked Harry, and Hagrid shook his head.
'Nah, never been good at spelling....I'll just say it once.  Voldemort.'
He shuddered as he said the name.

'Anyway, he shot a spell at them...Avada Kedevra, an' killed them.  And he tried to kill yeh two as well, but somehow he couldn't kill you, and his spell backfired.'
He smiles down at us.

'Yeh two killed the darkest wizard of all time.  Yeh should be proud of yourselves.'
'Ok...' I say, 'but you said he killed our parents with a spell and he was a wizard....these things aren't real, Hagrid.'
He grins down at us.

'Oh, they are.  Ever wondered how yeh could do those strange things?'
I thought about the snake and, by the look on his face, so did Harry.
Hagrid laughed.
'Yeh see?  This is real, alright.  Yeh're a wizard Harry, and yeh're a witch Lily.'