Chapter 15- The Sorting

Lily's POV
When I enter the hall, I see a million faces staring at me, and gulp.

I wonder which house I'm going to be in?

Looking around at my new friends, I only hope one thing; that I'm in the same house as them.

We reach the end of the hall, where a hat is positioned on a chair.  At first I think it's just a hat, until it opens it's eyes, and starts to sing.

"Oh you may not think I'm pretty,
But don't judge on what you see,
I'll eat myself if you can find
A smarter hat than me.
You can keep your bowlers black,
Your top hats sleek and tall,
For I'm the Hogwarts Sorting Hat
And I can cap them all.
There's nothing hidden in your head
The Sorting Hat can't see,
So try me on and I will tell you
Where you ought to be.
You might belong in Gryffindor,
Where dwell the brave at heart,
Their daring, nerve, and chivalry
Set Gryffindors apart;
You might belong in Hufflepuff,
Where they are just and loyal,
Those patient Hufflepuffs are true
And unafraid of toil;
Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw,
if you've a ready mind,
Where those of wit and learning,
Will always find their kind;
Or perhaps in Slytherin
You'll make your real friends,
Those cunning folks use any means
To achieve their ends.
So put me on! Don't be afraid!
And don't get in a flap!
You're in safe hands (though I have none)
For I'm a Thinking Cap!"

The whole hall applauds as it finishes his song, and I think about what the Sorting Hat has said. 

Ravenclaws are smart; that's not me.  I was rubbish at school, maybe worse than Harry! 

I can't be a Hufflepuff either; I'm not patient at all, and of what Kasey said about them, they're kind; and what I just thought about Harry doesn't qualify as kind.

I can't be a Slytherin either, I'm not cunning at all, and Ron said that Slytherins are all evil.

And I'm nothing, nothing like Draco.

So that just leaves Gryffindor, and I'm not brave, so....what house am I going to be in?

I hear my brother's name being called, and I hastily awake from my thoughts to see him walking up to the hat, while whispers from the hall surround him.  He ignores them, and the woman who was talking before pulls the hat over his head.

It remains on for quite a long time, and I can hear Harry whispering for some reason, until the hat shouts 'Gryffindor!'

The whole hall claps, the Gryffindor table most of all.
'We got Potter!  We got Potter!'

'Lily Potter!'
I give a start as I hear my name called, and walk up to the hat, realising on my way up there that I missed everyone before my brother being sorted.

I look to see which house Hermione is in, and then realise she's in Gryffindor, like my brother.

Gryffindor is now the house I want to be in...but can I, even if I'm not brave?

Ignoring my thoughts, I start walking torward the hat, hearing whispers from the whole hall behind me. 

'It's the Potter girl!'
'Bet ya she'll be a Gryffindor.'

I ignore the whispers as I continue walking torward the chair, and sit down.

The lady places the hat on my head.  It's so big that it slips over my head, and over my eyes, so all I can see is darkness.
Then I hear a voice.  A voice in my head.
'Another Potter, hey?'
I jump in my chair.

'Great, I'm going crazy,' I think to myself.
'You're not going crazy, Miss Potter, it's me.  The Sorting Hat.'
'Ok...how did you get into my mind exactly?'
'Oh, a Ravenclaw question, perhaps Ravenclaw is the house for you?'
'Perhaps,' I think, just wanting to be sorted.
'Fine, I'll hurry this up then...let's look into your mind...oh!  Lots of cunning, and ambition too...maybe Slytherin is the way to go...'
'No!' I think fiercely.  'I'm nothing like Malfoy!'
'Hum, well, I see Gryffindor in there too...so Gryffindor or Slytherin, Miss Potter?'
'What do you mean?  You're letting me choose?  I thought you were the Sorting Hat, not me!?'
'Well, choice determines your actions, which determines your personality, so, what will it be?'
I don't need to think.