Chapter 3: Lily Potter

'Get up, child!'
I groaned at the sound of my Aunt Petunia's voice, sat up and yawned.
'Get up!' said Aunt Petunia again. 'It's Dudley's birthday, and you need to make his breakfast! Now!'

I stood up immediately, ignoring the dizzying feeling in my head. How could've I forgotten?
Opening my bedroom/closet door, I walked out of my room, banging my head as I did.
That's what comes of living in a closet for ten years.
'Get up, boy!'
I jumped, then relaxed, it was just Uncle Vernon waking up Harry. A few seconds later he walked out of his cupboard.

'Hey Harry,' I said, smiling weakly at him.
He turned at my voice, and smiled back at me.
'Morning Lily,' he said.
I nodded toward the kitchen, and we walked there to make breakfast. Our cousin Dudley was already there, looking at his presents. And as usual, throwing a tantrum.
'That's two less than last year!' He was wailing.
I fought the urge to scream at him. Harry and I never got any presents, and he got 37! He's such a spoiled brat.

Aunt Petunia tried to pacify him.
'Darling, we'll go to the store and get you an extra three presents, ok?'
I gave up listening to the conversation at that point, since Dudley always got his own way. Instead I concentrated on making breakfast, so I wouldn't get told off, and might be able to stay at home with Harry for the day.
Dudley always got to go to a fun place for his birthday, (this year the zoo) and Harry and I were left to stay with Ms.Figg, who was truly annoying. She kept showing us pictures of her cats and her house stunk of them.
So I wanted to be nice so Harry and I could stay home, and watch Dudley's TV without anyone stopping us. We might even be able to get ourselves a snack, as long as we replaced it.
I needed to butter the Durselys up.

The food was done now, so I took it out to the family and hoped that they would like it. Dudley grabbed it, but my auntie and uncle didn't even notice breakfast was there, which was odd, until I noticed that Uncle Vernon was talking on the phone to someone.

'I'm sorry about that, but do you know someone else? Someone needs to take them for heavens sake!'
His voice was growing louder.
'Noone! But I..... '
His face turned pink as the other person was talking to him.
'Sorry. Um.. thankyou for calling me. About the...unfortunate mishap.'
He hung up, then promptly started yelling.

'She can't take them! She can't bloody take them!'
'What do you mean love?' Aunt Petunia asked, looking worried.
'Miss Figg, that's who! The stupid woman broke her leg and she can't take the brats!'
I crossed my arms, annoyed that they were talking about me like I wasn't even there.

But I didn't walk out of the room. I was too excited. This could mean I might be able to stay at home like I wanted!
'Well what are we going to do with them?' Aunt Petunia asked. 'They can't stay home, that's for sure, they'll wreck the place!'
I sighed. My dreams of having the house for just Harry and I were gone.
'They'll have to come with us, then, it's the only option!' said Uncle Vernon.
Dudley heard this, and he screamed.

'They can't come with us, they'll ruin everything! It's my birthday,' he said, looking at his parents with what both Harry and I knew to be fake tear streaked eyes.
'Oh Dudders,' Aunt Petunia said, pulling him into a big hug, 'they don't need to go if you don't want them to.'
Dudley shot us a smirk between his mother's arms.

I barely had time to get my fists clenched when a loud knock came from the door. I knew who it was. Dudley always got to bring a friend for the trip every year, and the friend was always Piers, Dudley's partner in making both Harry's and my life a misery.
'Oh dear, that must be them,' Aunt Petunia said. 'Sorry Dudders, they have to go, we don't have time to do anything else.'
She rushed to the door, and Uncle Vernon advanced toward us.

'If you're going to the zoo, you will behave, alright?' He asked menacingly, glaring at us.
I glared right back at him, my face turning red.
'We will if you do,' I said.
Harry pulled me away from our uncle.

'What are you doing?' He asked me. 'You're going to get yourself killed!'
'I'm just doing what you've been longing to do for ages, admit it.'
He rolls his eyes..
'Fine.'
Suddenly Uncle Vernon's voice cuts through us.
'Everyone, time to go!'
I grin at Harry. We're about to go to the zoo!