6. The Quests Have Begun!

L U K E

We sat in silence. The only sounds made was the sound of the waves hitting the boat and the motor roaring as it moved us along. I noticed how calm the sea was. It was a roaring mess before, but as soon as we placed our boat on the water, it calmed. This must be Poseidon's way of helping us. He's making the ocean calm for us to pass through.

Nobody has said a word since we arrived. We all found comfort in the silence, though nobody knows why. Eventually, after an hour or two of silence, the silence was broken by Percy,"Can you tell me anything about my past?"

I glanced at him. He was sitting in the front of the boat, just staring at the ocean ahead of us. I looked at Annabeth and she shrugged. I sighed,"What do you want to know?"

He turned around to look at me for the first time since we set sail,"As much as you know." He said firmly,"I don't want you to hold back anything. No more secrets." He gave me a challenging look as if daring me to argue. I almost smiled at that because that's something he would do.

I looked at Annabeth,"You explain the first half. I don't know too much."

She nodded,"Right. Well uh, it started when you were twelve..." Percy watched her intently as she explained. He only interrupted her when he had a question. I laid down against the side of the boat and allowed the lulling of it to make me drift off in a state of semi sleeping. I cleared my head from all thoughts and concerns and let only Annabeth's voice fill my head. I sighed peacefully. It's not everyday I get to enjoy the calm ocean like this.

"Luke?" I opened my eyes and saw them both staring at me.

"Yeah?" I said.

I heard Annabeth scoff,"I've finished."

I raised both eyebrows in shock,"Already?" She nodded slowly as if I were stupid. I chuckled sheepishly,"Right. Sorry." I looked up and noticed it was getting dark,"How about tomorrow? It's getting late, so you two should go to sleep. I'll take first watch." They both nodded. Percy and I switched positions, so I was sitting in the front while Percy laid down on the side.

The first couple hours were pretty quiet. Nothing happened, so I just hummed a random tune. I kicked off my shoes and laid down, so that my feet were sticking out the boat and in the water. I looked to the side once I heard Percy shifting. He sat up straight and looked out to the sea.

Before I could ask him what was wrong, he said,"Somethings wrong." He stood up. I quickly took my feet out of the water and stood up as well. I gently kicked Annabeth awake and put a finger to my lips,"I don't know..." He whispered,"but just check under the boat." I saw Annie turn off the motor, making the night even quieter and intense.

I slowly went to the side of the boat and leaned over. I took a deep breath and ducked my head under the water. Underneath the boat, there indeed was a monster. It look like a gigantic shrimp and was probably the size of Percy, Annabeth, and me combined. It had 3 tentacles and two where clutching the boat while the third arm was quietly and slowly tearing the wood on the bottom. Its gigantic black beady eyes looked at me. As soon as it did, I instantly pulled out of the water.

"What is it?" Annabeth asked.

I moved my wet hair out of my face,"I have no idea." I said. I kicked my shoes off,"But someone's gotta kill it before it tears our boat apart." I took my shirt and pants off as well because I don't want wet clothes for the rest of the trip. I grabbed my sword and shivered,"All right. Hang on. This might be a rough ride."