8. The Little Boy

J A S O N

We all walked to the gates in front of the bottom of the mountain. I stuffed my hands in my pocket and took a look around. We were the only people here which made it suspicious, but I didn't complain. It just means we have easy access to enter. I looked up to the mountains, but I couldn't really see the top, and I couldn't see any flowers on the sides. I sighed and looked back in front of me, but had to run to catch up to them.

"Alright, so I was thinking that I could go up, and you two stay here, or near the bottom to stop any monsters from climbing up." I told them.

Zoë scoffed,"And why's that?"

"Well..." I awkwardly muttered, rubbing the back of my neck.

"Is it because you think we're weak?" She said, giving me a challenging look. My eyes widened, and I tried to protest, but she carried on,"Or is it because you think we can't fight?" I shook my head quickly,"Or is it because you think we're girls?"

I hesitated, waiting to see if she'll continue, but she didn't,"Look, it's because if there are monsters, then I don't want you to get hurt." I help up a finger,"Not because I don't think you can't fight. It's just, if it hurts your wings, then you'll plummet to the ground, possible dying. I don't want that. See, I can control the airs to stop my fall, you can't."

Bianca had on a thoughtful look,"I have faith in you Jason. I'm sure you'll catch us."

Oh great...

I felt eyes staring at me, and I'm sure the others did too, for we all tensed. Both girls looked at me, so I casually turned around. I saw an old man. He looked about 70-80 years old, and he wore ragged clothes, but they only covered his private areas with a strand across his shoulders, so it barely covered anything. Holding his hand was a little kid. He looked about 8, but his appearance worried me. He had normal jeans, a plain green shirt, but the clothes looked burnt. In fact, his whole body looked burnt and smoke and ash covered his face.

Like he was in a fire before coming here, I thought.

Once the old man saw me looking back, he quickly looked away. The boy, however, still stared. He pointed up to the top of the mountain, and then back at me. He shook his head afterwards, probably saying that going up there is bad. He pointed up there again and then put his finger on his throat. He moved his finger across it in a horizontal motion.

The man roughly pulled the kid away, making the kid wince as if he hit him. I looked away,"Well, that's convincing..." But the girls weren't concerned about me. The were looking to my right, so I followed their gaze. Whereas before nobody was here, now, there was a whole army behind us. Everyone, including the old man and kid, looked at us.

One man stepped up,"Going up the mountain?" Ghosts. That's what they were.

"Yes. We would like to go in peace." I said, putting myself in front of the girls. I heard Zoë scoff, but didn't move.

The crowd whispered and laughed. I furrowed my eyebrows, and instinctively pulled out my sword. The man stepped back instantly, staring at the sword,"I see you are prepared." He grinned wickedly at me,"Go along, children. We won't stop you."

I lowered my sword a bit, confused. Without noticing, I looked at the little boy. It suddenly hit me that he was the only kid. Everyone else were adults. The boy shook his head feverishly, as if he knew the outcomes.