11. So Close, Yet So Far

P E R C Y

I could tell the respond made us all happy. Luke instantly perked up from beside me, and Annabeth lowered her weapon. I knew we were all thinking the same exact thing. If she's the goddess of memory, then could she restore my memories? I hoped so. I made me feel terrible because I couldn't help much, and everyone thinks I can't handle it on my own, but I can. I just want to prove it to them.

"So, you could help help us retrieve memories, right?" Luke asked her.

Mnemosyne's eyes shone brightly,"Oh, of course I can."

Annabeth raised an eyebrow,"So...?"

Realization crossed over her face, and she started laughing,"Oh! You want me to do it!" She shook her head, smiling,"I cannot, I'm sorry. Zeus' wrath will not be pretty, but I can give it to you."

Wait, what is going on? I was absolutely confused,"What?"

Something suddenly formed inside her hand. It was a metal sphere with rubies around it, and it had a staff sticking out of the bottom. A rod. My confusion only grew. Why can't she just give me a simple answer for once?

"The only clue to retrieving your memories is in here." She told us,"Don't waste it." She held it out for us to grab.

Luke hesitantly walked towards it, and reached for it. Just as he was reaching for it, a hunting knife pierced Mnemosyne in the hand. She quickly dropped the rod and recoiled. Luke was quick to grab it, but the attacker snatched it from his hand.

"What the-" Luke cried. His voice caught in his throat as he saw the person. I swear, everyone became statues as we froze from shock. Same blue eyes and blue hair,"Of course," Luke growled,"I knew it from the beginning."

"What can I say?" Galen laughed, clutching the rod,"You should've trusted your instincts." His eyes landed on me, but I simply glared at him and was satisfied when he flinched back,"Woah there, Perce. Don't act so shocked because we both know you didn't trust me."

Before I could even open my mouth, Luke kicked him in the stomach. Galen stumbled back in pain while Luke snatched the rod out his hand,"Come on guys!" As I ran, I noticed the calm look on Mnemosyne's face, which only fueled my anger.

We were near the door when Luke was jerked backwards. The rod dropped from Luke's hand and hit the floor, breaking it open. They both glanced at each other before lunging at them. They were having a mini tug of war when I decided to jump in. I came up behind Galen, grabbed his leg and with inhumane strength, I flipped him over on his back.

Luke wasted no time in tackling him for the last piece. Galen kneed him in the gut and stood up. He backed away from us, but glared fiercely,"I can't wait to see you all burn in the depths of Tartarus." Then, without warning, he jumped through the window. We all ran to the broken window, but no longer saw him. The drop was long, so I doubt he would've been able to make it without getting hurt. So where was he?

Suddenly, alarms blared throughout the building. We all looked at each other, wondering what to do. Luke stuffed the other two pieces in his pocket before turning to the goddess.

"I don't suppose you would flash us to Manhattan, would you?" Luke asked her.

She shook her head sadly,"I cannot." We all sighed,"But I'm sure someone else would. Just wait for them to arrive. Have a little fun while you're here!"