7. The Scary Truth

P E R C Y

My eyes shifted to Luke as he slept peacefully, while Annabeth finished tying the bandage on his leg. My brain started to hurt just looking at him up close like it was trying to think about something that wasn't there. It only ever happened with him, though. Everyone else was normal, but as soon as I looked at him, I feel pain. It's confusing me. I quickly looked away once the pain became unbearable.

Annabeth looked at me in confusion,"What's wrong?"

I shook my head,"Nothing." I looked at her,"Just, uh, one more question." She nodded, as if telling me to go on,"If Luke was a bad guy, why is he here?"

She seemed to freeze at the question. She opened her mouth, but then instantly closed it again. She hesitated before saying,"Luke's not a bad guy." She said, firmly,"Nobody is ever the bad guy because in every 'bad guys' mind, they're a hero. They think they're doing it to help, but they're not. In the beginning, Luke just wanted to get revenge for how the gods treated us, but if it wasn't for him and his attempt to destroy Olympus, things would be different." She looked at his sleeping figure,"He's a hero, and if he didn't do what he did, then the gods wouldn't have changed. They would've still ignored us..." She trailed off.

I smiled slightly. I guess she was right. They're aren't really 'bad guys', but it still didn't answer my question. I decided to just let it pass, for it didn't really matter. He's showed me enough times that he's trustworthy, and he's become my closet friend in the three days I've known him.

I gasped suddenly as my head exploded with pain. My vision became blurry and I faintly heard Annabeth asked something, but I couldn't quiet understand. I suddenly felt dizzy and my head was spinning. My vision went black and I felt myself being laid down.

"If I don't make it out, I'm sure you'll make a good leader. Promise me you'll take care of them?" I was saying. I had a sword attached to my hip, which made my breath hitch.

The other boy was blond and had blue eyes. Luke. He seemed to be everywhere,"I-" He avoided eye contact and said,"I promise."

"Good, now I need you to promise me that if you don't find my body, don't look for me."

His eyes snapped up,"What-"

"Plan B. If I do survive, then Galen will take me somewhere. He'll remind me about what's going on, but you can't look for me. I'll find my way to you. Ok? Promise you won't look for me."

His eyes were pleading me not to do this, to say that this was a joke, but it wasn't. He bit his trembling lip, as if trying not to cry, but it failed. He angrily wiped away his tears and said,"Percy...you know I can't-"

"I'm going to stop you right there." I interrupted,"Because I know you can, Luke. That's why I chose you out of all people. I believe in you, and your abilities." I told him.

"Percy!" He said, voice rising,"You expect me to completely abandon you! You want me to leave you behind while I leave, and I can't do that! Not after everything you've done for me." He argued, voice getting softer,"You've never left me or anyone behind."

I gripped his shoulders,"Luke. You have to. Trust me when I say your time will come. I'm going to come back, and you're going to be the one who helps me if I survive."

He looked at me, unsure. He took a shuddering breath before looking at me with unshod tears,"Ok. I promise, Percy."