12. Why Am I The One With Bad Luck?

L U K E

When we arrived, it was dark, so I assumed most people were still sleeping. Annabeth didn't wait for us as she went to the Big House to tell Chiron the results. Percy sighed and sat down on the grass. I frowned,"What's up?"

He sighed,"I don't know, everything?" He didn't elaborate.

I sat down in front of him,"Ok, let me try again. What's wrong?"

He didn't say anything for a minute before looking me straight in the eyes,"I want to go back home..."

My mind went blank. What? Is he giving up? He can't,"Why?"

He jumped up, and started to pace back and forth, shocking me,"Look, Luke. I appreciate everything you guys are doing to help me, but I can't do this. All this...danger and craziness. It's too much for me, and I don't want anything to deal with it. I don't wanna be a part of this anymore."

I simple stared at him, shocked. Percy was all about risky stuff and danger, always jumping in no matter what. Why is it different now? Is this how he really felt?

"Stop." Percy said,"Don't give me that look."

"What look?" I asked.

"That!" He exclaimed,"The one where you're thinking about how I used to be. I know that's what you think about, and it's driving me nuts. I'm not that person anymore, Luke. I'm sorry, but you've got no leads anymore and this is all pointless. My memories are gone, so the only thing left to do is move on."

I stood up, facing,"Don't say that." I practically pleaded,"It's not over until you give up. I won't let you, Percy because you may hopeless, but I'm not. I know there's a reason Mnemosyne gave us those clues, and we just have to figure it out. We-"

"There's no more 'we'." Percy said, making me flinch,"Look, you can keep chasing this, but until you find something real, leave me out of it. Now, can I just go home?"

We stared each other down, but I knew that once Percy made up his mind, nothing will be able to change it. I took a step back and looked away. I guess until I find something out, I'm on my own,"Fine. Follow me." I said, stiffly. I turned around and walked to the Chaos cabin.

We walked in awkward silence, and I couldn't have been happier to be with the rest. They were all sitting around a table, herbs in the middle of the table. They all looked up once we arrived.

"Hey, guys!" Michael said, smiling at us,"Tell me there's good news."

Zoë's smile wavered upon seeing me,"What's wrong?"

When I didn't say anything, Percy spoke up,"I want to go home." Everyone looked at him, confused,"My home in Atlanta."

"Woah, what?" Jason said, confused,"Uh, can I ask why?"

"Because he believes we have no more leads, so he's giving up." I said, cringing at the bitterness in my voice. I didn't mean for it to come out that way. Zoë shot me a pitiful look,"So, Zoë, have you been to Atlanta?"

She laughed nervously,"Well, I have, but it doesn't matter." I raised an eyebrow,"We told Chaos about the incident, and he took my watch away along with Bianca and Jason's powers."