King or Queen| Thranduil & Loranna

Listen: you shouldn't walk in shadows from The Huntsman soundtrack

Queen takes king..

King or Queen

The fire in the hearth was burning bright, casting a warm glow in the room. The warmth of the room contrasted with the land cast in the evening's shadows. Set in front of the fireplace was a table occupied by two people. The table held a chess board. The pieces laid out, prepared for battle.

Reaching across the board, a hand placed a small piece closer to the other side. The hand was elegant, belonging to a woman; In this case, an elleth.

The ellon across from her sat leisurely, considering his options for his next move. He raised an eyebrow at her in question to her choice. "A pawn?"

Leaning back, the elleth smirked at him. "A humble pawn can bring down kingdoms."

He hummed, studying the pieces. He felt her brush her foot against his leg, drawing his attention away from his scheming. "Stop distracting me."

She chuckled, the twinkling sound filling the room. She watched as he moved a piece to capture her pawn. She sighed, "poor little pawn, mean old king." She looked back down from him as he smirked at her. Shaking her head, she closed her eyes, "how sad."

He laughed, "I merely took what you offered." He took a sip from his goblet sitting on the table. "You gave up your pawn to be captured."

She smiled, raising her head from the back of her chair, "that I did."

He continued to smirk at her, "then you will see no one is truly a match for the king." He gestured to the board, "he will gladly defeat those incapable."

"Of course, but you forget one thing Thranduil." She leaned forward and reached for another piece. "The king holds the power, but the final say" she picked her move, "lies with the queen." Moving her piece past his, she noticed realization dawn on his face. "And she will have that," she looked up at him as she placed her final piece down, "queen shall take king."

Thranduil's face held a scowl as she took his piece, ending the game. "Now I see why your brother has never managed to beat you in a game."

She shrugged innocently, "it must be a talent of mine." Her eyes flashed back to him, "or I merely haven't found another capable of matching my skill."

He pursed his lips. It was difficult to accept defeat when he himself rarely lost. "Or perhaps you find ways of manipulation to control a game."

"Manipulation?" She questioned while smiling. She raised herself from her chair. Grabbing her goblet of wine, she paced around the table to stand in front of the fire. "Would you not say manipulating the game is how you win? Without using it, one could not possibly have the game within their control." She looked back at Thranduil, "would you agree?"

Thranduil contemplated her words. "That may be true, however, other facets affect success as well."

"Such as?"

Leaning back, he swirled the wine in his goblet. "Such as strength, intelligence, and actual skill." His eyes met hers, "without those, one could not possibly hope to hold victory."

She turned to face him fully now, "then we are of the same opinion."

Thranduil nodded. He sighed, "I must admit you continue to impress me Lady Loranna."

She smirked and walked towards him, "an accomplishment, surely."

"Indeed. Few manage to do so."

Once she reached the table, she placed her goblet on it. She placed her hand on top of the regal chair. "Then I am honored to be one of those few."

He looked up at her, placing his arms on the chair's armrests. "As you should."

Loranna hummed. Her gaze shifted to the abandoned chess board. "You are a worthy opponent, though you were unfortunately unable to beat me."

He rolled his eyes, "perhaps I will be successful next time."

Loranna returned her focus to Thranduil. "Next time? You believe that to be possible?"

Thranduil tilted his head up to her, "of course I do, melleth."

Loranna leaned down to him, angling her head to whisper in his ear. "I look forward to it." She met his eyes again, steel and water clashing. "I believe it's time for me to retire for the evening."

Pulling away from him, she ran her finger across his bottom lip to catch a drop of wine left there. She raised her hand to her mouth and sucked the wine from her finger, all the while staring at Thranduil. He swallowed as she smiled again. She turned away from him, "rest well Thranduil. I shall see you in the morning." He could hear the mirth in her voice as she left the room.

He looked away from the door back to his wine, his appetite awakened for something else. "Rest well," he scoffed. Rest would not find him easily that night and there was only one person to blame for it. One intriguing elleth.

AN: so this is a little taste of this potential story😉
This is also posted in honor of my birthday (march 9) so hope you guys enjoyed this!

Note: I don't actually know if they had a chess equivalent in middle earth, but we'll just go with it for now haha