Professor| Tom & Ava

An AU where Tom gets the job as Defense Against the Dark Arts professor and Ava was one of his students. Takes place about 8 years after he graduates and Ava is in her seventh year.

1953

Tom Riddle was standing in the Defense classroom looking out the window across the school grounds. Well, he should say his classroom. It has been his for nearly two years now since he was given the position of teaching Defense Against the Dark Arts. He had always imagined coming back to Hogwarts permanently, ever since that first summer he was forced to return back to the hellhole that was Wool's Orphanage. Now here he was.

Of course he didn't necessarily enjoy teaching children. However, being there gave him a certain credibility. Especially if he wanted his...extracurricular activities...to remain hidden. And it wouldn't be good at all for anyone to find out anytime soon. Not while he was in the beginning stages of his plans.

Tom took a deep breath as he crossed his arms, waiting for the tell-tale sounds of approaching students. The seventh years were next and they were going over complex combat spells. He knew the Slytherins would enjoy it, and the Gryffindors will look forward to the challenge. Although, there was one student of his that would hesitate just the slightest at the prospect of dueling her fellow classmates.

Speaking of which, he could hear the students coming down the hall seconds before they entered the room. He let out a silent sigh as they noisily entered and took their seats. Turning around, he paced back to stand in front of the students. It only took a few moments for them to catch on and quiet down. He silently studied them, knowing they were all overly excited to begin. But he wanted them to feel some measure of nervousness. In real circumstances they wouldn't look forward to dueling another person, and they certainly won't always know them either.

His eyes caught on the familiar head of silvery blonde curls as he began to speak. "Good afternoon. I believe you all know what we are about to do today." He paused as some of the students cheered. "Now, don't get too excited. Dueling, especially with more complex spells, is no easy task. And it's not always fun."

Tom clasped his hands together behind his back and paced at the front of the classroom. "Before we begin I need to cover some ground rules." He stopped briefly in front the Gryffindors when he noticed whispering. "You've been taught the proper etiquette for dueling already, so I won't waste our time going over that." He moved to stand in front of the Slytherins then. "There will be no excessive force in the spells you use today. I don't think anyone wants to end up in the hospital wing, and I personally wouldn't like to be questioned for any injuries."

A few students looked concerned when he said that. One student hesitantly raised their hand. "Professor, aren't the more complex spells at a higher risk of injuries?"

"Obviously," Tom said impatiently. "Which is why you won't be using them to their full capacity."

"How would that work if we're suppose to be dueling sir?"

Tom felt like hitting his head against the wall. "You are still practicing the spells." He calmed himself and continued his pacing. "However, they will be used when instructed. There is no surprise attacks. Other, less extreme spells may be used to your discretion."

A boy from Slytherin raised his hand. "So we have free range other than the new spells you're teaching us?" Tom nodded. The boy smirked and threw a mocking look at the Gryffindors. "Hope you're ready to lose."

And so class went on to the actual duels. Most students struggled with the new spells, especially when applying them in combat. To Tom's relief, none of them screwed up enough to injure each other or themselves. He was quite satisfied with majority of the class for their performances. But there was one student that didn't seem to embrace it as well.