Attraction| Percival Graves & Lucy

I decided to finish this to ease back into writing after taking an editing break. Hope you enjoy!

She remembered the first day she met Percival Graves. He was handsome and charming, but overall strictly professional. For a month following her promotion he hardly spoke more than a sentence to her. He was busy as per usual, which meant interactions were rare.

She was, however, proud that she managed to get a small almost unnoticeable smile out of him once. It was refreshing to see the strict lines of his face disrupted. After that Lucy made it a goal to get as many smiles out of him she could. Certain cases made their respective departments work more closely, giving her plenty opportunity to work her magic on him. She liked to think he at least liked her as a work colleague, hopefully more than others. He always seemed to lighten up around her. This is what gave her encouragement to continue.

But this was all before the events of 1926. Before Scamander and his beasts, before Grindelwald. She had managed to get through to him before things changed. No one else seemed to notice the difference, but she did. It made her feel like she was imagining it. But no, there was no mistaking the undeniable change in Percival Graves when he returned from that fateful mission. He forgot certain things that wouldn't be ignored beforehand.

That was the first clue. Then, she noticed an unusual reservedness when he spoke to her. Yet she could feel him watch her closely when they passed each other in the halls. It was unsettling. And for the first time in years of working with him, Lucy was uncomfortable around Graves. Something was wrong.

She began to watch him more closely and that's when she picked up on quirks in his behavior that weren't there before. He noticed. It came as quite a shock when he became forward with her and said it was a shame a pretty girl like her wasn't taken yet. That was not normal. Lucy couldn't help but to get closer and try to solve the mystery of what was off. What happened as a result of her curiousness no doubt would have scared anyone else. But she would never regret it. Not when antagonizing the imposter Graves lead to his reveal.

No matter how many threats he threw at her, she wouldn't bend to his will. While he posed as a danger to her personally, she was a risk to his plan. It would be too noticeable if something happened to her. They had cornered each other. But the few months of emotional torture was worth it in the end.

What mattered now was that Percival was found. He was severely injured, but alive none the less. Lucy helped ensure he was looked after properly so he could heal quickly. Each day he looked better, but she knew there were far deeper wounds that could only be healed in time. Wounds that she wouldn't be able to fix. Some wounds would never heal. It hurt her to see him, such a strong man, so vulnerable. He barely spoke, sleep was difficult, and moving was a challenge without assistance.

What was worse was the unbearable guilt at knowing she couldn't do anything for him. All she could do was sit with him when he needed it. He was always a private person, but like anyone else he didn't like being alone all the time. It gave him too much time to think. Which is why she decided to check in on him.

It was his first full day back at work. President Piquery didn't want him to jump back in right away, so his time in the office was minimal at first. But after a month, he insisted he felt ready. Without telling him, however, Lucy was instructed to keep an eye on him.

She was currently making her way to his office to see how he was doing. She had been too busy that morning to be able to. His office door was closed partially once she reached it. She gently knocked on it as she stepped through. Percival was doing paperwork when he looked up at the sound of her knock. His posture relaxed when he realized it was just her. She was quick to smile at him as she went to stand in front of his desk. She was pleasantly surprised when he returned it.

"Miss Collins, what can I do for you?"

She shrugged casually. "I just came by to see if you were too busy for a short chat."

"Ah," he said in understanding. He closed the file he had open on his desk and leaned back. "I'm just getting caught up on paperwork, nothing too urgent."

Lucy nodded. She smiled gratefully when he summoned a chair for her. "Then I hope you don't mind me bothering you for a bit."

"Of course not," he was quick to say.

"Good." She made herself comfortable in the chair. "How does it feel to officially be back?"

He gave her a small smile. "It feels great. I was going mad from sitting at my apartment."

Lucy laughed, "I can imagine."

"It, of course, was in part due to you." He crossed his arms as he studied her, "you were a key in finding me. Thank you."

Lucy felt a blush form on her face at the warmth in his voice. She was relieved that he could talk more openly about what happened to him. "There was no possible way I'd let you go." As she said that she realized how it sounded. "I mean, we couldn't lose you."

Percival chuckled, "I know what you meant. I appreciate it."

They sat for a few minutes in silence as Lucy recovered from the embarrassment. Meanwhile, Percival was nothing but amused. He knew she had meant to say MACUSA needed him, but he was delighted to pick up a different meaning. For months leading up to his capture, they had grown quite close. And now that he survived a threat against his life, he understood the importance of living fully. It was time to take a leap of faith.

"You know Lucy, I've been thinking." He placed his hand against his chin in thought.

Lucy raised an eyebrow, "oh have you?"

Percival nodded. "We've been dancing around each other for too long. How about we take things a little further?"

"How do you think we should do that?"

"Well to start," he said as he leaned forward against his desk. "Go to dinner with me?"

Lucy couldn't suppress the smile that formed. She had always felt this moment would come. "I would love to."

"Excellent." Percival smiled at her. "How does seven tomorrow night sound?"

"It sounds perfect."

The rest of their conversation resulted in determining the details of their date. Hey were both comfortable calling it that by the time she left. The next day would be the start of a new beginning for them. And the start of an even greater life, together.