Dream|Tom & Ava

hint: this scene WILL be featured in a future chapter of She Saved Me

Tom couldn't be sure of when he exactly managed to fall asleep. He normally had difficulty allowing his mind and body to rest, causing him to lay motionless at night as he forced himself to relax. However, after the days events he was uncharacteristically tired.

Whether it was from the excitement of watching Ava perform in another game or sitting with her in front of the fire until late in the night, he couldn't be sure. Somehow, his mind and body synced and relaxed enough to allow him to fall into a deep slumber.

Not long after he was pulled into a dream, which was also unusual. He rarely felt his mind wander into the illusions that plague the mind in its subconscious. Tonight was one of those rare times, but it wasn't an unpleasant dream.

He was standing outside of a house. It was quaint and simplistic with a welcoming aura surrounding it. Glancing around he found himself on a street filled with similar houses that created a quiet neighborhood. Looking back again to the house he opened the door, assuming he was meant to enter. Stepping in he came to a small cozy sitting room and cream colored walls. He could distantly hear sounds coming from another part of the house.

He closed the door and stood still to listen more closely. He could hear a soft feminine voice whispering to something or someone. Soon after he heard a high pitched giggle, such as one that would be heard from a child. He looked around to find any indication of who's house he was in. He didn't want to venture further into the house without knowing.

His attention was brought back to the hallway in front of him as he heard footsteps growing nearer. Who came into the room surprised him. It was Ava, but she was a little older. What surprised him more was the small boy on her hip who was smiling toothily at him.

The boy looked to be around five. He had dark brown wavy hair and a cherub face. His eyes were a brilliant blue that matched Ava's. The boy's appearance overall reminded Tom of how he looked as a young child. This thought caused Tom's breath to catch in his throat.

It can't be

Ava gave the boy a loving smile before turning her attention to Tom. "You're home finally, we've missed you. I hope you had a good time?"

Hesitantly, Tom answered "I did, yes." He could hear the uncertainty in his voice from not knowing what she was talking about. Either way it didn't matter because none of it was real. "What about you two?"

"We had a nice day of playing. Isn't that right sweetie?" She looked at the boy again as he nodded enthusiastically. "I'm afraid I'm not that good of a play mate right now though."

"Yes you are mommy," the boy said while giggling.

"Are you sure? I think your father is better." She looked at Tom again with a wide smile, "he can do more with you." She nuzzled the boy's nose with her own, "he knows all the tricks to entertain you my little wizard"

The boy's eyes got wide remembering that fact. "Da showed me how to make my toys float! It looked like they were flying."

"Is that right?" She gave Tom an amused look. He flashed a quick smile in return and shrugged. She laughed, "well maybe he can show you that again while I go rest for a bit."

The boy nodded in excitement and gave Tom a pleasing look. "Please?"

Tom breathed out a short laugh, "of course."

Ava smiled at him again and moved to put the boy down. As she turned Tom noticed something else. His eyes were drawn down to Ava's stomach where there was a small bump. His eyes widened at realizing that's why she was tired and unable to play with the boy.

Before anything else could happen in the dream, Tom was sucked back to reality as his body woke up. His eyes fluttered open to stare at the wall of his room then he sat up. He sat there for a few minutes to wake himself up and think about the dream. He saw something from the future, this future. The one with Ava.

They'll have a son together and another child as well. He couldn't quite process that. Ava and him were together and they both knew they would be for a while. Seeing it, however, only made it more real. He would have a new life as he hoped when his fate was decided at his trial. A new life with a better result.

He would have a family. One of his own that he'll build with Ava. While he couldn't express love, he did feel a connection to her. He didn't feel like giving her up anytime soon and the dream confirmed that he won't change his mind. And for some reason, this all gave him comfort and a sense of freedom. His fate was his own and he would gladly follow his current path if it lead to what the dream showed him.

Tom quickly got up and dressed in his school robes after remembering it was another day of classes. He was anxious to see Ava, feeling the need to be near her after what he saw. Last night was one of the few when she didn't sneak into his separate room. That didn't sit as well with him as it usually does before the dream.

He made his way down to the common room to wait for Ava. As he reached the last step, he was surprised to find her already there. She was sitting on the leather couch fixing her hair into a side braid. His lips quirked into an involuntary smile at seeing her doing something so mundane while poised perfectly.

"Are you going to come join me or would you rather continue watching ?"

Tom blinked, caught off guard. She hadn't even turned around. He shook his head in bewilderment and started moving towards the couch. She then looked over her shoulder.

"I don't mind either way really."

Tom shrugged before sitting next to her. "Neither do I. But, I would hate to make you uncomfortable with my staring."

"I'm sure." Ava leaned forward and gave him a quick kiss. "You're up late, are you alright?"

He nodded, "perfectly fine. I was more tired than I thought it seems." He played with a loose strand of her hair that escaped from her braid. "A dream also managed to hold me in my sleep longer than normal."

Ava raised an eyebrow. "A dream? You don't have them very often." She kept looking at him, hoping he'd raise his eyes to meet hers. He only continued to play with her hair distractedly. "What was it? It obviously left an impact."

He glanced at her and smiled. "It certainly did. Perhaps I'll tell you later." He looked past her to the clock, "we must be going to breakfast anyways before your friends come searching for us." He stood up and offered her his hand, pulling her up next to him.

He felt her hand slip into his as they made their way to the great hall. The tingle he felt whenever they touched seemed more prominent to him now. He couldn't help but wonder when things would change.

A part of him hoped it wouldn't be for a while as he couldn't fathom being responsible for a child. Another part hoped it wouldn't be too long from now. Both parts, regardless, were hoping the dream actually comes true, even if he was uncertain of the outcome.

😉