Loneliness| Tom & Ava

Angst, a bit of fluff, a little dirty stuff...it's fun. This is just a little something that will show up (eventually). Oh yeah, and there's some adult content to be aware of.

Ava couldn't take it anymore. The constant silence, the ignoring, the emptiness she felt by being there. She thought everything would go back to normal when she returned to their apartment. After resolving weeks of emotional turmoil, both in their relationship and with the Ministry, she thought things would be alright again. How wrong, how naive, she had been.

Instead she was left to entertain herself as Tom lost himself in work and the upcoming trial. His obsession with getting revenge has lessened after the threat of losing her, but now there was nothing. He didn't sleep with her, didn't speak to her, and he completely stopped touching her. While she understood his need to make sure they would be safe, she missed him. Regardless of how upset she was at him before and how much she questioned their relationship, she needed him. And the loneliness was taking its toll. She almost wished they were still fighting. Almost.

Ava sighed and got up from her spot next to the window looking onto the neighboring park. She made her way to their small living room where Tom has been every day. She stopped in the doorway, taking the chance to really study him. His hair was unkept and his clothes were hazardously thrown on. She was surprised he even managed to drag himself to shower each day. He didn't even notice her anymore.

After clearing her throat without a reaction, Ava bit her lip and went closer. She let her hand brush against the back of the sofa, just at the end to leave a small amount of distance. "Tom?" She only received a hum in response as he flipped to a new page of the document he was reading. "Don't you think you should take a break? You've been at that for days."

Tom paused his movements and let out a long breath. "Ava, this is important for me to deal with." He looked just over his shoulder in her direction, but he didn't look at her. "You do understand that right?"

Ava had to bite her tongue from lashing out at his tone. She could deal with his mood swings and occasional tantrums. But one thing she wouldn't stand for is his condescending attitude. "Yes. Unfortunately too much." She moved to go to the kitchen and stopped to say one more thing. "I won't watch you destroy yourself for much longer. Maybe you should rethink everything you said to me." She then continued to the kitchen to make herself tea.

Ava doubted Tom even registered what she said, or what she meant by it. He very nearly lost her when he was consumed with revenge. She had been pushed to the point of staying at her parents' house, not being able to be near Tom. Which only fed into the doubts that festered away inside her mind.

And then they talked. Tom sent her a letter practically telling her he would let her go, knowing that he had let her down. She knew he hadn't regressed to who he was before, he had changed. But she let those small doubts blossom into uncertainty towards him. It was that letter that made her realize she couldn't lose him. She rushed back to their apartment and practically threw herself at him. She remembered all her tears and the way he held her to him. She believed he cried as well.

But here they were now. Tom lost in work and Ava miserable. She knew she was being unnecessarily loud as she made tea, but she couldn't bring herself to care. Once it was ready, she took a long sip and leaned against the small island. Her gaze wandered out the window where she was met with dreariness. It was always raining it seemed. As much as she enjoyed the rainy weather, it did nothing to soothe the growing sadness she felt.

Maybe she should go back to her parents, at least there was someone there that would acknowledge her. She had given up on just taking small walks around the block or visiting with friends. They were all busy themselves with their jobs and the rainy weather caused difficulties walking outside. While this provided her with something to do, it wasn't enough. Even being with her mother and father lost its comfort at this point. None of it truly measured up to need for more..intimate human contact. Nor could it compete with the fulfillment from a closer bond.