Chapter 1

I once heard this quote about love and letting go it went something like: There are things that we don't want to happen but have to accept, things we don't want to know but have to learn and people we can't live without but have to let go. I've accepted that it's not fate anymore or coincidence. Our lives are already written for us whether we like it or not. But that's just how life is it isn't fair, happy endings don't always end happy for everyone and that's okay I've accepted and learned to realize that as well. But to let go of the people we love most is the hardest lesson you could ever be taught and that's why I can't stay. That's also why I need you to understand why I chose this path, though I'm sure it's not, leaving makes me feel as if I still have a say in my book. I can't stand to be around to watch as everyone watches it come to an end. These are all the reasons why I chose to leave and I hope you can accept my decision. Have a safe and happy life, Barry.

Love,

Sadie Merlyn

The words ran through my head everyday, when I woke up in the morning, throughout the day when I didn't have something to think about and at night when I lie awake regretting every decision I ever made to leave. Like I had said in my note to Barry I didn't want to leave but I couldn't stand around and wait for my death. I wanted Barry to live his life to the fullest without having to worry about me. So that's why I left, I ran away like I always do and knew I would. After the singularity I traveled everywhere. I stayed at Felicity's for a few weeks to comfort her after Ray's death. But Barry stopped by every once in awhile to see her and Oliver and it was hard to avoid him. So I moved onto Keystone City and stayed there for awhile though I did always come back and check on everything in Central City every month or so. Barry was now working by himself, Caitlin was now working at Mercury Labs and Cisco was working for the CCPD.

"Excuse me, miss," a man said bringing me out of my thoughts, "Is this seat taken?"

"No, it isn't," I smiled moving my bag off the seat so the man could sit down. Currently I was on a train headed back to Central City for Flash Day. The mayor wanted to give the key to the city to the Flash for saving Central City six months ago. I thought back to that day and how Ronnie and Stein tried to help Barry which they did but they lost Ronnie in the process. After that Barry wouldn't allow anyone to help him in fear of them being at risk like Eddie and Ronnie. That's why none of them worked in Star Labs anymore and went their separate ways. A lot of people also though the Phaser died with the wormhole but obviously that wasn't the case.

"Are you going to the Flash Day as well?" The man beside me asked as he pointed at my red sweatshirt.

"Uh, yeah," I nodded.

"The stuff that he can do is amazing," he noted.

"Yeah, it's pretty cool," I smiled. A few hours later the train pulled into Central City. I grabbed my backpack and pulled my hoodie over my head while putting on some sunglasses before hoping off the train. Everyone was gathered in town square all dressed in red. There was a stage with banisters of the Flash's lightning bolt. I watched as more people joined and noticed Cisco and Joe leaning against Joe's car watching everyone. The mayor got on stage behind a podium and greeted the crowd.

"Good morning, Central City!" He smiled as the crowd cheered, "A year ago, our world changed. Our city became ground zero for some pretty weird stuff. We got a new breed of criminal: Men and women who defied not only our laws, but physics and reason," the mayor paused, "But we got something else, too. We got the Flash!"

The crowd roared at the mention of their hero.

"Our wounds run deep, and I know many of you are afraid of what threats tomorrow may bring. But the Flash doesn't just protect us, he restores hope where it was lost. That's why I'm honored to present the key to the man who saved Central City. The Flash!" He yelled excitedly holding up a golden key but Barry was nowhere to be seen. Until a gust wind blew by along with a lighting bolt and there he stood on stage as the crowd started chanting. He waved to the crowd and walked up to the podium.