Chapter 5(6th year) Not Now

Granger?! I have to work with Granger for the entire year! No, I can't do this, who cares if she will get us all O's, she's too irritating.  "Your first potion is Draught of Living Death. Now you may begin." Slughorn said.  Granger moved toward me and sat beside me looking at  Weaslette.  Weaslette mouthed at her "I'm so sorry," and turned to start her potion.  I am used to that kind of thing, someone feeling sorry for their friend, thinking how horrible it must be to interact with me.  Granger turned toward me, opened her book and nodded her head professionally, "Malfoy."  "Granger, good you have a book. I will be here, now you can start on our potion."  "Excuse me, you have to do something too you know." she snapped.  I glared at her, trying to assure her I wouldn't be doing any work, no matter what she did.  She backed off and went to the cabinet to get the ingredients.  She walked back, sat down gracefully and opened a jar.  I watched as Granger glanced at her book and then took 3 of the ingredients and dropped it into our cauldron.  She kept adding things and heating it up until it boiled into a liquid.  She poured it into a bottle and I "accidentally" knocked it on the floor, breaking the glass and ruining the potion.  "Whoops," I exclaimed, watching her bend over to clean it up. "That took..... Argh... I just finished and ........why would you........I have to start all over.....What a mess!" she stuttered. She grabbed a wet paper towel and started picking up the glass. Then, she got a mop and miserably stood there cleaning like Cinderella or something. "Malfoy, we have half an hour to rebrew this entire potion that you just completely ruined. Help me clean this up!" Granger ordered. I wanted to roll my eyes, smirk and refuse but I figured I should do something since there was a big Quidditch game coming up and there was no time for detention. I finished the cleaning for her so she could start the potion. Stubborn woman. She didn't even let me touch it this time, but I still tried to add the ingredients here and there. She reached for the spoon at the same time as I did and our hands touched. I didn't move my hand or surrender in disgust. I just watched as she looked at our hands shocked and then pulled the spoon from my grasp. Moment over. Oh my lord, for a second there it seemed like Granger thought she was dreaming. She wasn't mad.
----------------------------------------------
When I reached for the spoon he did too and touched my hand. I just sat there staring first at our hands and then into his gray eyes, almost dreamily. He didn't flinch away or call me 'mudblood' just looked at me, waiting for a reaction. It was as though I was comforted in that moment, like my heartbreak had ended, my life wasn't over, I could move on. Ron and Lavender didn't matter because there was a Malfoy in front of me with a bit of kindness in him. He had changed, he wasn't the same as before this happened to his parents. He tolerated me and felt bad, like he understood my pain. It was different than when I had felt like this before it wasn't just like he selfishly just wanted a girlfriend or someone, no this was genuinely caring. I was there for him and he seemed to want to be there for me. But then it ended. We were both still shocked but it was as if we had an understanding, 'I know what you've gone through and I will tolerate you enough to be there if you really need someone.' I felt better and not in pain, not now.