Chapter 9(6th year) It's you

The clock chimed 11 and we abruptly stopped our conversation to listen to the noise.  At 11:30, I would find out who my dream guy was.  We stared into each other's eyes and I smiled at him.  His hand touched mine again and I felt a tingle go through me.  We had been away from the hall for so long now, hiding in our peaceful window seat, gazing out at the sky.  It was perfect, he asked me one last question, "Who are you here with?" and I told him that I was escorted by my best friend, the girl in the other black and white dress, but other than that, I came alone.  All he said was, "Good. You are the most amazing person I have ever met. You're different and I feel like I can be myself with you." he confessed.  He brushed a piece of my hair out of my face and looked at me, as if searching deep into my eyes for something that said I felt the same.  His hand moved onto the side of my face, as he leaned in to kiss me.  I didn't pull away, in fact, I returned the kiss. My arms wrapped around his neck, his around my waist. He pulled away for a second to look at me. "Who are you?" he asked, still holding me. "I guess both of us will have that question answered in....." I looked at the clock, "25 minutes." I grinned and thought of Ginny. "My friend will be looking for me. I should check in with her. Meet here at five of?" I frowned. "I'll be here." he gave me a peck on the cheek, "Until then."  I smiled, walking backwards toward the Great Hall.  I need to know who this is!  Sure enough, Ginny was speed-scanning the room for me.  I snuck up behind her, "Hey!"  "Ah! Oh my god Mione you startled me! Where have you been?" she questioned.  "I-is your lipstick..... smudged?" she observed, giving me a goofy grin, "You were with that guy, weren't you?!" she gasped.  "Is it really smudged?" I pulled out a hand mirror and looked for myself.  It was.  I pulled out the lipstick and reapplied it.  When it was back to normal, I whispered, " Yes Ginny, I was with the guy. We are supposed to meet five minutes before the masks come off."  She teased, "Do you think he's gonna snog you again before you find out who each other is?"  Ginny let out a giggle as she waited to see how I would respond.  "Ginny!" I scolded, laughing along. "Well while you have time, why don't we dance." she requested. We stepped onto the dance floor and partied to the muggle pop music. At 11:25, I told Ginny I had to go and I went out of the hall once again. He was still there, waiting for me. When I approached, he looked up, as if he sensed my presence. He smiled up at me. "Hello beautiful stranger." he joked. I giggled and sat beside him.  He wrapped his arm around my shoulder and pulled me closer to him a bit.  I laid my head on his chest and looked up at his face.  "Is it just me or are these masks incredibly itchy and annoying," I remarked.  He laughed in agreement.
----------------------------------------------
Who is this girl?  She is so gorgeous and kind, affectionate, and funny.  I couldn't believe someone was treating me so nicely after all I have done.  Well of course, she doesn't know who I am.  She could think that I am a Hufflepuff or a Ravenclaw, maybe even a Griffindor.  I need to make sure she doesn't leave me.  I need to ensure that she will stay and be there for me.  I want to be her boyfriend.  Mum said that I've been down a lot lately.  She did tell me that regardless of who it is I need to find someone who will make me happy.  Everyone assumes that my family and I care so much about blood status, but the truth is my father was really the one who was strict about that stuff.  He thought I shouldn't hang around half-bloods or muggle-borns.  He told me that if I wanted to be in charge I couldn't seem weak.  That I should call people mudbloods, should look down upon others.  He taught me to fight, and never ever let your guard down.  I was scared into following his example, forced to listen to his opinions.  Mother and I were sweeter than that deep down, but we dare not disobey him.  I never wanted to harm a fly.  So, if this mystery girl is not a pure blood or a Slytherin, mother will accept her for her personality.  Right?  Yes.  Don't worry Draco.  She likes you a lot.  She's a good person that will understand.  I felt something I never had with Pansy.  This was true love; affection and trust.  Don't let it go Draco.
----------------------------------------------
I sat up and took his hand.  I couldn't wait to see who he was.  I promised myself not to leave if he was a Slytherin.  I shouldn't judge him because of his house or blood status because what I felt was real, regardless of who it was.  We showed our true selves and no matter who they are, I saw the real them and that is the person I am in love with.  Don't freak out Hermione.  They see who you are and they love you for that.  I need to stay with him.  He leaned down to kiss me again.  He pulled me closer to him and I ran my fingers through his blond hair.  The enchanted timer inside the hall chimed its first ring. The enchanted masks would fall in 10 seconds. I pulled away and turned toward the noise for a brief moment. I turned back to him and smiled eagerly. 5-4-3-2-1. The masks dropped to the floor and my mouth hung open as I saw who the boy was. Draco Malfoy. "Malfoy!" "Granger!" We yelled in unison. I couldn't believe it, I was snogging Draco Malfoy.  I confided in Draco Malfoy.  I'm in love with Draco Malfoy.  I couldn't believe it.  He was the first to speak, "H-Hermione, I know what you think of me, but I can explain everything. Everything I did all these years, that's not who I am. I don't take pleasure in making Griffindors mad and causing pain.  It was my father, I had to, believe me, he wouldn't let me near anyone like you. But now he can't control me, it's just my mother and me and she is a good person, really. Don't leave. Please." he pleaded, hopeful for forgiveness.  "I believe you. I need to go now though. I-I need some time to think. I'm here for you, Draco. Just know that." I walked away, confused and still in shock.  I had spent the whole ball with Draco Malfoy, Slytherin Prince, wealthy pure blood, son of a death eater, and it was amazing.