Army of Ghosts - Two

Yvonne walked up to a plain white wall with the Doctor following and Rita behind him.

"The sphere came through here. A hole in the world. Not active at the moment, but when we fire particle engines at that exact spot, the breech opens up."

"How did you even find it?" He lightly touched the wall.

"We were getting warning signs for years. A radar black spot. So we built this place, Torchwood Tower. The breech was six hundred foot above sea level. It was on the only way to reach it.

"You built a skyscraper just to reach a spatial disturbance? How much money have you got?" He questioned.

"Enough."

"Too much" Rita commented and the Doctor hummed in agreement. They walked back to Yvonne's office and Jackie was looking out of the window.

"Hold on a minute. We're in Canary Wharf. Must be. This building, it's Canary Wharf." She looked at the buildings below.

"Well, that is the public name for it. But to those in the know, it's Torchwood."

The Doctor leant against the wall explaining the logic of Torchwood. "So, you find the breach, probe it, the sphere comes through six hundred feet above London, bam. It leaves a hole in the fabric of reality. And that hole, you think, oh, shall we leave it alone? Shall we back off?" He rhetorically asked with a hint of sarcasm. "Shall we play it safe? Nah, you think let's make it bigger!"

"It's a massive source of energy. If we can harness that power, we need never depend on the Middle East again. Britain will become truly independent." Yvonne defended Torchwood. "Look, you can see for yourself. Next Ghost Shift's in two minutes."

The Doctor became cold, his voice darkening. "Cancel it."

Yvonne scoffed. "I don't think so."

"I'm warning you, cancel it." He gritted his teeth.

"Oh, exactly as the legends would have it. The Doctor, lording it over us. Assuming alien authority over the Rights of Man."

"Let me show you." The Doctor stormed into the woman's office gesturing for Rita to follow. "Sphere comes through." He pointed his sonic screwdriver at the glass wall which then cracked. "But when it made the hole, it cracked the world around it. The entire surface of this dimension splintered. And that's how the ghosts get through. That's how they get everywhere. They're bleeding through the fault lines. Walking from their world, across the Void, and into yours, with the human race hoping and wishing and helping them along." He explained. "But too many ghosts, and" he looked at the brunette raising a brow. "Rita" She lightly tapped the glass and it shattered falling to the floor.

"Well, in that case, we'll have to be more careful. Positions!" Yvonne turned and ordered the people to prepare. "Ghost Shift in one minute." The Doctor groaned and walked in front of Yvonne.

"Miss Hartman, I am asking you, please don't do it."

"We have done this a thousand times." She protested. Rita pushed a chair from the office out for herself.

"Then stop at a thousand!" He shouted at her.

"We're in control of the ghosts. The levers can open the breach, but equally, they can close it."

The Doctor then nodded and heading into her office fetching a chair then pulling it up beside Rita's and sat down. "Okay."

She looked at the two of them confused. "Sorry?"

"Never mind. As you were." He waved her off.

"What, is that it?" She asked looking around.

"No, fair enough. Said my bit. Don't mind me. Any chance of a cup of tea?" He looked at the woman sitting at the desk closest to him.