How did it all begin

It was raining when she first saw him.

She just finished her nightly patrols and was about to go home when she heard a soft mewl. Curiosity got her, and when she followed the sound, she was led to an abandoned alley. Her footsteps reverberated on the bricked walls as she trekked the puddles, and the flickering street lamp across the road became her guide to locate the source.

There she found a damp box with a shivering feline.

Compassion assaulted her when she saw his bleary green eyes clogged with dried tears. It was evident that his fur was white, but the smudged dirt made it all grayish. No protective covering was offered to shield the poor kitten, and the box was left in an exposed area under a heavy downpour so he was totally drenched and on the verge of death.

Without further ado, she immediately plucked the feline with her gloved hands, then whirled her yo-yo to the rooftop for a speedy travel.

Her transformation vanished once she stepped into her room.

"Oh no." Tikki gasped when she saw the animal in the girl's arms.

"This fellow needs a warm bath," Marinette told her kwami. "Can you fetch me some small towel?"

The red god complied, then deposited the items near the bathroom sink as her charger caressed the kitten's body gently with lukewarm water. Both sighed with relief when they found no wounds on its frail body, and once securely cleaned, they wrapped his body in a thermal clothing.

"You can do it, buddy." the girl brushed his small head, earning a light purr. "Be strong, okay?"

A large towel fell and draped on top of her head. "You need to dry yourself too, Marinette. Or else you might get cold."

Her charger nodded, then glanced at the digital clock display on her table. It was already two in the morning - luckily it was Saturday, and she was free the entire weekends.

"Sleep well." she petted the bundled feline for the last time before she climbed into her loft bed to sleep.

She woke up five hours later.

"He's fine," Tikki assured her immediately before she jumped into conclusion. "Check him out."

The kitten peeled himself off from his layered blankets and somewhat settled near her trap door. His small ears perked up as she went downstairs, and with its wobbly feet, he began to paddle hastily to greet her.

"It seems that you're fine now, kitty." Marinette chuckled when he nuzzled her leg.

"What are you going to do?" Tikki asked cautiously. "Your parents might not like the idea of keeping him as a pet."

"I know." her charger groaned. "But I can't simply abandon this fellow. I don't have the gall to send him to a shelter without nursing his health back."

"You're too good for this world, Marinette."

Sabine was preparing their breakfast meal when her daughter entered the kitchen and was taken aback when she saw the feline on her arms.

"I found this fellow on my balcony last night." the girl reasoned out. "Probably fell down from the roof. His cries were barely muffled by the rain, and it was past midnight. I don't want to disturb you and Papa about it."

"You know we have a bakery." her mother sighed. "And we can't have that little guy roam around here freely."

"He can stay in my room."

"You clutter. And you have several cloths and threads lying around."

"I can fix my mess, Maman."