Nine lives

Marinette was seeing red.

Her head was throbbing, probably a mild concussion when she got side-swiped by the truck, with a ringing sensation in her left ear. She didn't feel any dislocations or fractures, but her right arm and left leg were quite tender to move.

There was a rustle on her bag, which means that Tikki was safe.

However...

"Chat?"

On the side of the road was her white feline, her savior, sprawling on the ground. She called his name several times yet he remained unresponsive and silent...and lifeless.

"CHAT!"

It was the adrenaline that pushed her body to get up and limp towards her injured cat. There were lots of people everywhere, most were onlookers who grew curious about the accident yet none of them cared about the hero that saved her life.

"CHAT BLANC!"

Someone called her name, but she never dared to look back for a reply. When a hand suddenly fell on her shoulder, she immediately shrugged it away.

"Let me go!" she yelled at the medic who was trying to address her wounds. "Chat - Chat Blanc...he's..."

"But Miss, you're -"

The girl was able to free herself from his restraints then rushed towards her pet.

"Chat!"

Fat tears welled in her eyes as she knelt down and inspected his broken limbs. She could see the rapid rise and fall of his chest, but his green eyes remained shut.

"Oh, kitty." she sobbed at his badly-shaped body, then looked around for possible reinforcements. "Stay with me, okay? Don't give up."

Everyone was busy attending the traumatized toddler who didn't have a single scratch, and to the reckless driver who got stowed away by a stretcher. The truck that damaged the pipeline caused not only floodings but also a heavy traffic around the area.

Nobody dared to assist Marinette and her cat.

When all of a sudden, a white shirt fell on top of Chat Blanc.

She caught a glimpse of a silver ring when a hand wrapped the feline's body and cradled it carefully in the arms. She looked up and stared at a familiar green eye.

"Let's go and save Chat Blanc!" Adrien declared.

Marinette's body went to auto-pilot.

She barely recalled how she climbed inside the limousine while clutching her dying cat. She remembered how Adrien commanded his driver to the nearest pet clinic in an unusual authoritative tone, but she made no comment.

She didn't take a heed on how his hand reached out to touch her face, only to stop himself then tucked it in his lap with clenched fists.

Thankfully, it wasn't a long drive.

The vehicle wasn't on full stop yet when Marinette yanked the door open and ran towards the clinic.

"Help!" she bellowed at the attendant. "Please save my cat!"

The personnel was taken aback by the pig-tailed girl's ragged condition, but she couldn't deny her frantic pleas for her animal's well-being.

"Please save Chat Blanc!" she sobbed.

Without further ado, the attendant accepted the bundled feline then brought it inside the operating room.

"Please be okay, Chat," Marinette whispered then covered her mouth with shivering hands. "Hang in there, kitty."