Prologue: Ghouls & Anteiku

It is now the first day where Kaneki begins his new job working at the coffee shop named Anteiku. This shop, however, is different than most other coffee shops. At Anteiku, all of the workers are ghouls. We will get back to Kaneki, but to answer some of your questions.

You may be wondering, what is a ghoul? Amongst society lives these beings called Ghouls, where they appear human, talk like a human, and have feelings like humans. The difference in between them is what they eat. Humans eat normal foods, but Ghouls eat something different, they eat humans. They don't do this because they want to, they it to stay alive. Ghouls can survive up to a month eating just one human. Some Ghouls on the other hand, eat for fun.

Ghouls cannot eat human food. Normal food would be like them eating poison. But, Ghouls and Humans can share only one thing, and that is coffee. Coffee, however, could not be used as a substitute for Human flesh. Ghouls must still hunt for Humans.

For Ghouls to eat they have to find or hunt for a human and attack them with a power they have know as Kagune. This allows the Ghoul use it's body as a weapon and knives or bullets won't be able to hurt them. Some Ghouls, don't wish to take the life of a human, for they fear they will forever be guilty for killing.

There is a place where these Ghouls can go to for food without having to kill. Those Ghouls are most likely children or families. This place finds humans and takes the lives for them. That place is also known as, Anteiku.

Anteiku is a Cafe known for its amazing coffee. Ghouls tend to go there occasionally and drink. It even attracted the attention of some humans, but the humans don't know this is place with Ghouls. Helping each other out is Anteiku's moto.

Ken Kaneki becomes a half-Ghoul after having a female ghoul named Rize, attempt to eat him but dies in the process. Kaneki, being injured from the attack needs an organ transplant, so they take Rize's organs and put it into him making him the first half human half Ghoul hybrid.

(To understand I highly recommend watching the anime Tokyo Ghoul. Part of this story is not the original story)