Chapter 3: Date

To be honest, I am really nervous and excited about my date with Touka (Touka doesn't want to call it a date, but she knows it is) later after work.

I get early so I can arrive at work on time. As I get there, I say good morning to Mr. Yoshimura. I put on my uniform and make way downstairs, that's when things change. As I'm half way down the stairs, my stomach begins to hurt. It was if somebody had lit a match in my stomach.

The pain however went away when I had my morning coffee. As I was in the kitchen, I see Touka coming from upstairs.

"Good morning Touka, ready for today?"

I said trying to be cool.

She yawned and then smiled.

"I'll try not to drink to much coffee today."

She seemed tired, I wonder if she stayed up studying.

Mr. Yoshimura came down from his room upstairs,

"Kaneki?"

"Yes sir."

"Can you go downstairs and flip the sign to open, please."

"Sure."

So I made my way downstairs, and flipped the sign to open. Then, it hit me again. This time my stomach felt like a got hit ten times. What is happening to me?

I came back upstairs and saw Touka in the kitchen preparing everything.

"Kaneki, can you go wipe the table near the corner please."

"I'm on it."

And from there, the day began. People started rushing in to get their morning coffee. Every so often I would glance at Touka, and everytime I did, she'd smile as if she knew I was looking at her.

"Kaneki!"

The voice sounded familiar. I turned around and knew who it's was. It was my friend Hide.

"Hide, long time no see."

"Kaneki I've looking all over for you. Last time I saw you was in the hospital when you got that transplant."

That was about two weeks ago. Can't believe I forgot tell him where I've been.

Hide is in the same college as me. We've been best friends ever since childhood. He has orange hair and wears a jacket most of the time. How would I describe him. Just imagine the kid in your class that's a major goofball, but is actually pretty intelligent, yeah that's Hide.

"Kaneki, I can hear you on the other side of the cafe. Who is this?"

"Oh, Touka meet my friend Hide, we go to the same college."

"Hello, nice to meet to you, I'm Hide."

"Yeah hi," she clearly was upset, "Kaneki, if you want to make it until later I suggest you and friend calm down."

Touka was right, we were being pretty loud. About quarter of the cafe was looking at me and Hide getting excited over seeing each other. I mean hey, you haven't seen your best friend in two weeks. What do you expect?

"Sorry Touka."

After that she walked away, and took other people's orders.

I turn around and Hide is giving me a devil smirk.

"What?"

"Kaneki Ken, you dog. No wonder you've been gone for two weeks. Why didn't tell me you had girlfriend!"

I had a feeling in my stomach Touka heard that. Boy, am I in trouble.

"Look, Hide, I'll text you later alright, but I'm busy right now."

"No problem Kaneki, just came to see if you were still alive and alive you are. Well now that my purpose is done, goodbye Kaneki. Text you later."

Hide left, and I got back to work. I saw Nishiki again and we talked for awhile. I served a couple drinks, washed some cups and now work is over.

Now time for my date for Touka. I went back to my apartment to go change into a new set of clothes and then come back to pick Touka. As I was sorting through my closet, I starting panicking, a question kept ringing in my mind. What am I gonna wear?!

And so I threw on a collar shirt with a vest and jeans.

I came back to Anteiku and waited for for Touka to finish getting ready. Then again, it hit me. My stomach, why is it hurting?

And then one conclusion came to my mind, I haven't ate anything. Quickly I made myself a cup of coffee. Mr. Yoshimura said earlier that coffee would be able to calm down my hunger but couldn't be used as a substitute. I have to eat a human.

I didn't want to think about that right now and drank my coffee. The pain went away from my stomach, but I knew I'd have to eat sometime.

I heard steps coming. So went back out waited near the stairs. Then there she was, a girl with a blackish purple dress.

"Wow, your beautiful."

I said that out loud didn't I.

Touka blushed, and it surprised me. Then it occurred to me that this was probably her first date. Ghouls don't tend to have relationships when their trying to survive. It was my first real date. The one with Rize doesn't count.

She came downstairs and said,

"Thanks, I didn't really know what to wear and Hinami thought I should wear this." Pointing towards her dress.

"Well, I'll have to thank Hinami when we get back. Are you ready?"

She nodded, we walked downstairs until we got outside. As a gentleman, I walked over and opened her door for her.

"So where are we going?" She said breaking the silence.

"I thought we could go have that coffee I mentioned yesterday and let's see what goes on from there."

"Okay, I hope it's not going to be boring" she said sarcastically, but then she gave me a smile.

Once we got to the cafe we ordered two coffees and sat down outside.

"Having fun yet?"

Touka took a sip of her coffee and smiled. God I love her smile.

"This is actually pretty good Kaneki, but not as good as Anteiku."

I decided to drink some to, it might calm my hunger down. I don't want to ruin this date.

"So Touka, when did you start working at Anteiku?"

"Well, stayed there since I was fourteen, but started working when I was around sixteen."

Only for two years? I thought she was there longer?

"What about you Kaneki, how was it like being human?"

The question actually surprised me. Especially since we are out in the open.

"Well it isn't that much different now that I'm a half-Ghoul, except my food preference changed."

Her faced changed by what I said.

"I've always wondered cake tasted like, I see people eat it and they enjoy it, but when I eat it tasted like garbage. How did it taste like?"

"It's tasted, sweet. Some cakes were better than others because of the different types of flavors. It always made you want to have some more."

I starting to remember how it was like back then, when I was once human. Then I saw Touka's face and she was smiling.

"You have a really beautiful smile Touka."

She blushed,

"Thanks, Kaneki."

I was glad I found a spot we were able to see the sunset.

Then we stared at each other. It was silent, I can feel my heart pumping. I can see her lips and she sees mine. We both come closer to each other.

Then and there, we share our first kiss near the sunset.