Chapter 9: Run

"Run faster!"

Touka kept yelling me as we were being chased. At this point we weren't holding hands anymore, but running side by side. I looked back, and two more investigators joined in on the chase. My heart was racing, I had never encountered a Ghoul investigator before, and I thought I would never have to.

The thing that made me more scared, was that Touka was panicking. Ghouls at Anteiku had told me Touka was a strong ghoul, and that she was able to take on an investigator. However this time, she was out numbered, that might've the reason why she was running.

We kept making turns left and right trying to outrun the Doves. It was beginning to turn night time. We kept running straight until another two investigators were running in our direction.

"Kaneki this way!"

We ran into an alley where there were now five doves chasing after us.

"Stop!"

They kept yelling out us. We managed to get further away from them, until a sudden burst of pain came from my leg. I fell onto the ground and my leg began to bleed.

"Kaneki!"

The pain in my leg stung as I tried to move. I thought to my self, "I thought bullets can't hurt ghouls?". Then I came up with a solution. Ghoul investigators can also make bullets out ghouls Kagune. That's why it was able to penetrate my skin.

The Doves were getting closer to us. Then Touka unleashed her Kagune and smashed the wall right next to us. That made the wall tumble in between us and the investigators. We were safe for now.

I looked and saw Touka's Kagune for the first time. It looked as though she had wings coming out of her back. It's color was like that of a sunset.

She turned around and her Kagune faded.

"Kaneki are you alright?!"

I began to feel better, then I realized that I my body was healing the wound. Those bullets were meant to try and stop us, but they couldn't kill ghouls.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Let's go."

She offered out her hand and I grabbed it. She pulled me up and we began running again.

We were out in the street now. We looked around for Doves before we kept moving.

"Where are we going?"

"We need to find a safe place until the doves stop looking for us.

"Can't we go to Anteiku?"

"We can't do that, it would risk the ghouls working there their lives."

Then I thought of something. It might've been a spot where we would least go to, but we needed somewhere to hide.

"How about we go to my place, I mean they don't where I live."

Her facial expression changed.

"Are you sure it would be safe there?

"Let's just go to my place. I'm sure it will be safe."

"Alright, but once we get there, your making me coffee."

I laughed. We began to run to my place. From where we are now, it would probably take about ten minutes to get there.

As we were running there were two paths, one leading straight and the other went left. Touka began to turn left, until I stopped her.

"Touka if we go this way, we will get there faster."

"Alright fine, but if this way is wrong, I'm beating the crap out of you."

I felt that she meant that. As we were running, I didn't check if there were any Doves.

"Kaneki wait!"

I ran out into the open and they saw me. I felt that they had already stopped looking for us, until they saw me. I put on my hoodie so they couldn't see my face.

"Wait, stop right there!"

They were chasing us now, because of me.

"Dammit Kaneki! You are in so much trouble if we get out if this!"

This time, when we were running, Touka had fell onto the floor this time.  At first, I thought she had slipped. Then I realized she was shot three times through the chest.

"Touka!"

I ran right next to her to see if she was alright. There blood all over her chest. These bullets really some damage. She was still conscious, but I could tell she was in pain.

My blood began to boil with rage. "It was my fault she got shot," I told myself. "If only I had gone the other way."

The Doves began to get closer. Then my rage focused on them. My whole body became filled with rage.

"I have to protect Touka."

As soon as the first investigator came near me, a red tentacle pierced through his chest. I was shocked with what happened, then I saw that for the first time becoming a Ghoul, I finally unleashed my Kagune. However, I couldn't control it. It was moving on how my emotions felt, and felt that I needed to protect Touka. Even if meant killing these investigators.

The Doves with guns were scared. Then two other Doves with briefcases came towards me. They both had quinques. These were strong Doves, but that's still count stop me.

"Surrender now, or we will have to kill you." One of them said as his briefcase turned into a sword.

My body felt different now, I wasn't in control anymore.

"I guess you have to kill me then."

For some reason I could see what was going on, but I couldn't control my body.

One of the Doves ran towards me with remarkable speed. He swung his sword at me, but my Kagune blocked it. Then the other Dove joined in the fight. Both of them fighting together, they both were in synch.

They swung at me and I managed to block every single hit. One of the swords did manage to hit me but then my body healed with remarkable speed. It was as if it healed as soon as it got cut.

The other Dove swung and I blocked that attack as well. I picked him up by his sword and threw him in the air. As he was still in the air, I shot one of my Kagune through his chest. He died immediately as I did that. The other dove saw this and busted with anger.

He charged at me with all his strength, but that was his downfall. As he swung, I jumped behind him and stabbed him through the back.

That left the two other Dove's behind me. I turned around and they both were filled with fear. I began walking closer to them. Their legs were shaking, they had so much dear they couldn't move.

At this point, I couldn't stop my body. It wanted to kill. As soon as I was about to stab them, someone yelled from behind me.

"Kaneki!"

My mind was brought back to normal as soon as Touka had spoke. I looked at her and she saw my Kagune for the first time.

I ran to her and picked her up.

"Kaneki... you killed those men."

My mind was going out of control. I did kill those men. My hands began to tremble.

"They were going to hurt you."

"I'm not saying it was a bad thing, but it looked like you didn't have control."

She was right. I didn't have control, and now two men were dead because of me.

We made it to my place and went inside. I told Touka she could spend the night if she wanted to. She said yes, and we both slept together on my single person bed. But the thought of killing those men was still on my mind. I fell asleep thinking about what I had done.