Chapter 1: First Day

Today is my first day working at the coffee shop, Anteiku.

Mr.Yoshimura, the manager, who was fifty years old but still looked great for his age, asked another worker named Touka to help me make coffee.

"Alright you're going to have to learn this quick, we open thirty minutes."

Touka said as she was walking towards me. Touka is about 18 years old, just about finishing high school. She is a year younger than I am. She also has her hair color is purple. I also heard she has quite an attitude.

She came up to me and said,

"Hope your ready to learn to make coffee, here's your uniform."

She threw at me as she was making her way to the kitchen.

As I made my way to the fitting room, (it's basically a normal room) I put the uniform on, but there was one problem. It wasn't the right size. I panicked because of opening time, but then I came upon an extra set in the closet.

As I got in my new uniform and entered the kitchen where I saw her taking out the brewer and the coffee pot.

"Okay... I think I'm ready to learn now." I said awkwardly.

Touka turns around and seems to be in bad mood.

"What were you doing?! We only have fifteen minutes to teach you how to make an average cup of coffee!"

Touka's mood surprised me because earlier she sounded okay, but instead of apologizing, I spoke before thinking.

"Well maybe if you had gotten the right size uniform, I would've been done quicker!"

She breathes in as if she was ready explode, but calms down.

"You know what, we don't have time to argue! Just come here."

I realized that we were wasting time and hurried over.

"Look I'm sorry, but I don't like being yelled at." As I was grabbing the coffee beans.

She sighed
"It's not your fault, Mr. Yoshimura and I had a bit of an argument. Anyways let's not get into that right now."

I decided not to question what had happened between Touka and Mr. Yoshimura.

"Alright so,what do I have to do first?"

"Alright now that you've gotten the cup, you have to brew the beans."

For the fifteen minutes we had making coffee, I began to see that she's not that much of bad girl. I was glad she was trying her best to stay calm even I had messed up sometimes.

"No not like that, you can't let the coffee spill over. You have to slowly put the water in."

She seemed angry, however, it didn't sound like she was focused on me, but on something else.

"Are you okay?" I said after successfully making an "average" cup of coffee.

As soon she was about to say something, Mr. Yoshimura walked in.

"Touka can you please go downstairs and turned closed sign to open."

Touka clenched her fist and made a look on her face and was about to speak, but she complied and said,

"Yes sir."

As Touka was going back downstairs to flip the closed sign to open, Mr. Yoshimura asked me,

"Are feeling okay Kaneki?"

It's been about a week since I turned into a half-Ghoul.

"...Are you getting acquainted with Touka?"

"She seems like she can be a nice person in my opinion,"

I thought whether or not I should asked about happened between them, but I did anyways. I wanted Touka to be alright.

"Mr. Yoshimura?"

"Yes?"

"I know it's not my place because I'm new but, what happened between you and Touka? She seemed angry."

Mr. Yoshimura seemed like a nice person and he said he's known Touka for quite a while. They're basically related. Then he spoke,

"I feel that if I told you about this, Touka would get angry at me telling you about her private life. So, to avoid an argument, I think you should ask Touka yourself."

"Oh, okay, I'll ask her later then."

And soon enough Touka came back up, and the two other workers came in. One was female, her name was Irimi. The other was a male, and his name was Koma.

Throughout the day, many people were coming into the cafe. Many whom I assume are Ghouls.

As I served some coffee to a ghoul he looked at me with concern and then said,

"I've never seen you here before, are you a new worker?"

"Yes, I'm new here."

"So that makes you one to, well nice to meet you, my names Nishiki Nishio."

Then he held his for a handshake. Not wanting to be rude, I decided to shake it.

Nishiki had orange-brown hair and wore glass, he was tall. He was about year older than me, probably twenty. At first I thought he was a model, but then he said he went to the same college as me. He was a second year and I was a first year at Kamii university.

I remember Mr. Yoshimura mentioning about some Ghouls going to school. Ghouls look so much like humans I would have never known he was a Ghoul.

After my discussion with Nishiki ended, Touka gave me a smile. I didn't know whether to turn blind eye to it, but at that point she looked very pretty. Even if it could have been a fake smile.

"Kaneki?"

I suddenly realized Touka was in front of me snapping her fingers trying to get my attention.

"Kaneki, more people are coming in! Try to stay focused, what were you thinking about?"

I blushed as soon she said that, I mean do you tell someone that you were thinking about them and their pretty smile. So, of course I didn't tell her the truth.

"Nothing, just got distracted. What do you need?"

Touka didn't seem to believe me, but she ignored it.

"Kaneki, I know this is your first day, but I need you to make three coffee's, no sugar."

"Okay three coffee's, no sugar, got it"

So I finished the three coffee's and served them out to two Ghouls and one human. I forgot that humans went here to.

After my first work day working at Anteiku, making coffee is pretty hard. Especially when every single Ghoul wants to know I'm a Ghoul to. I wonder why they asked that.

I went upstairs and found out that Anteiku has rooms for the workers. Mr.Yoshimura offered me one, but I have an apartment of my own.

I came across Touka's room and decided to knock.

As she opened the door, she was out of her uniform. She was wearing short-shorts, and a purple shirt. She was listening to music, but took one ear bud off and said,

"Oh, hey Kaneki. What do you want?"

Wait, why did I knock! I didn't think about that when I came in.

"Oh, um, I wanted to see if you were alright."

"Yeah, I'm okay just studying, want to come in?"

Without hesitation I said,

"Yeah, Sure."