Chapter 6: Hunger

I woke up the next morning thinking that I fell off my bed, but as I scanned the room, I had forgotten Touka spent the night.

I should make some coffee.

I got up from the bed that I made on the ground and headed to the kitchen. As I was halfway through making the coffee, I realized the smell woke Touka up. I turned around and our eyes met.

Alright Kaneki, think of something to say.

"Good morning beautiful."

I tried.

She smiled,

"You better be making me one to."

"I was gonna make you some anyway."

She got up and gave me a hug from behind.

"What are you doing?"

"Just hugging you. I'm not gonna let go."she said playfully.

"Touka come on, if your going to keep hugging me, I won't be able to finish the coffee."

She smiled and let go,

"Here, drink some coffee."

"Actually before I have that, can I use your shower?"

The thought of her being in the shower slightly aroused me.

"Sure, let me get you a towel. The shower is down the hall, and first to your left."

"Okay thanks, appreciate it."

I left the kitchen and found a towel for Touka. I went to the door and knocked twice.

"Touka, I have your towel."

"Okay, come in, it's unlocked."

I didn't hesitate, then I opened the door immediately.

I walked in, and saw Touka, still with clothes on, laughing.

"Oh my god, you should see the look on your face!"

Touka had just pranked me. I felt embarrassed because Touka had probably thought I only came in, because she was naked.

"Here, have your towel."

I tossed her the towel.

"Oh, come on Kaneki. It was just a joke, don't take it personal. And if our relationship continues, you'll see me eventually." Touka winked.

I blushed.

"You know what, you're right. Well, you can take shower now."

"Alright, have that coffee warm when I get out."

Then I left Touka to do her thing. As I was making my way to the kitchen I collapsed.

Now my stomach began hurt, and I mean not like the other times. It was if someone ripped my stomach out of my body. Then I coughed, and blood was on my hand.

"This is bad, I can't do this while Touka's here. I need to drink my coffee."

Then, when I got to the kitchen, went for my coffee. I drank the whole cup. I still didn't feel good, but it was better.

Then I heard the shower turning off in the other room.

"I can't let Touka see me like this, I need to act normal."

A few minutes pass by, then I heard the door opening.

Touka came wearing the dress she had on yesterday. I had forgotten had beautiful she was in that dress.

"Beautiful as always." I tried to act cool from the pain.

"Thank you Kaneki."

She walked down the hall and came near me.

"Here you go." As I was passing her, her coffee.

"Smells good."

"Yeah, well it's instant coffee. So hope you like it."

She drank some and smiled.

"It's okay, not as good as Anteiku or the other shop you took me yesterday."

"Do you want me to give you a ride home?"

"Sure, if you can that would be great."

We got in my car, and drove to Anteiku. Once we got there, I walked her up to her room.

Finally we got to her room,

"I had a great time with you Kaneki."

"I was fun, I'd love it if you came by sometime."

"Nice try Kaneki."

Then her room door opened, it was her roommate Hinami.

"Finally your back Touka."

She looked at me, then back at Touka.

"Tell me next time, if your not gonna come back."

She went back into the room and left the door open for Touka.

Touka kissed me on the cheek.

"See you tomorrow Kaneki."

"Bye Touka."

She went in and looked at me before she closed the door.

I started to walk down the stairs and then my stomach ripped. I tumbled down the last few steps of stairs.

"Kaneki, are you alright?"

I looked up and it was Mr. Yoshimura.

"Yeah I'm okay, I just tripped."

He sighed,

"No your not, come with me. I'm gonna take you to downstairs."

I knew Anteiku had a basement and that I had never been down there, but why would he take me down there?

I decided to go, and as I began to follow, he started talking.

"You know Kaneki, it's very bad to neglect your hunger. Just so you know, a Ghouls hunger is the worst feeling they can get."

As we made our way downstairs to the basement, it was starting to get a little colder.

We finally arrived and I saw a refrigerator.

"Why did you bring me down her Mr. Yoshimura?"

He began opening the refrigerator and pulled something out.

"I thinks it's great that you and Touka are becoming a thing, its good for her to get out more, but what I don't like is that you avoided to eat before you went on a date with Touka."

"Thanks for worrying about me, but I had it handled Mr. Yoshimura."

"It's not that, when a Ghoul gets hungry they are expected to eat. However, when a Ghoul avoids eating, the Ghouls body will take over and will eat any human near by. That's why you should've ate before you went Kaneki."

He gave the thing he grabbed from the refrigerator. It look like something that was used to package meat. Then I found out what it exactly was. It was human flesh.

"Where did you get this?" I said with my hands trembling.

"We find suicide victims, at the edge of the city, there is a road on a cliff. We find the bodies of those who jumped off and bring them here and feed Ghouls who can't kill humans. That's where we get it."

I looked back down at the package, and wondered, "can I do this?".

"It's okay Kaneki, and I wouldn't know how it was like to have been human, and how you feel like it might be cannibalism, but you have to do it to survive."

Then I went home, and did it. I took out the package and I ate for my first time.