Chapter 12

I never thought my end would come this quickly. Despite how much I wanted to deny it, what was happening was real. The blurry vision, the pool of scarlet liquid, all of it. The ringing in my ears wouldn't stop. All I could feel was unbearable pain from my head and my whole body.

"Jack! No!" The panicked voice of Mark shouted.

He rushed to my side, picking me up. Shaking hands switching from my wound to gripping my face. "Please," he starts to cry and presses his forehead to mine, "Jack. I love you...You have to stay with me. Please."

I'm kind of getting ahead of myself though. I'll go back to the beginning of the day.

--------

"Jack, you dork!" Mark teased, "Get down from that tree."

Rolling my eyes, I turn my head to look down at him, "Fuck you, dad! I want an apple."

He goes to open his mouth but Dan cuts in, "Woah woah woah! I promise I'm not kink shaming here but please not while Phil and I are here."

My face gets hot and I start climbing up the tree again. "You're disgustin' Howell."

"I'm not the disgusting! Mark's the one staring at your ass!" He argues.

"Mark!"

"Tattle tail!" Mark yells accusingly.

I couldn't help but chuckle.

As if proving that in a zombie filled world that there can be now happiness, the screech that was followed by the pounding of footsteps echoed. We didn't have enough time. Me being up in a tree, I was the safest but my friends and my boyfriend were down there. I'd have to defend them.

Gun shots firing throughout the air, the crying out of dying zombies, and the stench of blood in the air. But those weren't the only sounds I heard. There was a crack and it came from underneath me. Before there was time to react, air was surrounding me and the leaves in the tree started getting further and further away.

I didn't scream, I didn't cry. All I could do was fall. The shock was probably what caused me to be silent. Thump.

My whole body ached. Spots clouded my vision. The most I could do was sit up a tiny bit. When I did, what was seen was a sharp branch stabbed deeply into my side. As if that wasn't enough, two teeth clamped into my shoulder. This time I screamed. My hands found my gun and I shot the asshole in the head.

This was when Mark noticed me. So here we sat, him sobbing and holding me in his arms. Maybe I could of lived if it hadn't been for me possibly breaking every bone in my body, or the branch hitting the perfect angle that it would kill me. "Mark.. You have to leave me."

"No I'm not leaving you," He choked.

Mark then did the unexpected. He put his gun to his head and turned of the safety. After that, he grabbed my hand. "I love you so much. You're the last person I have and I'm not letting you go. Wherever you go, I'll be right behind you."

Dan starts to step forward but Mark turns the gun onto him before continuing, "And you two will not stop me or I'll shoot you too."

Dan steps back.

"Mark, baby. I want you to live. You might have a chance to save-" I start to say.

"There's nothing left to save, Sean."

I felt myself slipping away.

"Especially after you take your last breath..." He puts the gun back to his head and closes his eyes, "Dan, Phil... It's been nice... Well... As nice as it could be."

"Mark no..." I manage to breathe out, voice a little shaky.

"Please go..." He says to the two British men.