Practice

Finally the time came for practice. I was so nervous about messing up I felt as though my knees would buckle under my weight. On the other hand though I was pumped up for volleyball. I was so excited I can feel a vibration running through my spine.

      I slide open the door and bow slightly as I put on my shoes. I step inside and see a crowd of ten to twenty people. I don't see Kuroo which is a big relief, but somehow I felt sad.

      I already had my uniform on and was neatly tying my hair up when out of the corner of my eye I saw a tall raven haired boy enter the gym. It was Kuroo, shortly followed by his close childhood friend Kenma.

     I turned to see Miku jumping up and down with excitement, "look [f/n]
look!" She was pointing over at Kuroo as he sat down, "he really came!" I knodded my head as I looked over at the two talking boys.

      Kuroo seemed to not realize he was talking to himself as Kenma played his games. This causes me to let out a short breathy laugh. A hand is placed on mine and Miku's shoulders. It was Yuki, team vice-captain, "what's so funny [n/n]?" I could feel the intense aura around us as she tightened her grasp.

       "n...nothing." She released her grip after hearing my answer.

      "That's what I thought," she said as she turned and left.

      Kuroo seemed to take notice of this little scene and laughed aloud. We made eye contact and I couldn't help the pink from dusting my cheeks. I rubbed the back of my neck nervously as I gave him a kind smile. He returned the gesture with his signature smirk. To hide the growing blush on my face I turned and went back to streaching.

...

      I'm not the ace or anything, but I am still important. I am the decoy. Today we are doing a third year versus first year tournament. The best second years, including me and Miku are scattered into the two teams. Both me and Miku are put on the same team because of our amazing team work. Because of our higher skills we are put on the first years team.

      The match begins and I am placed as the middle blocker. I am the tallest girl on the team so, this isn't very strange. But underneath my kind smile can be a beast. Volleyball is my life's blood and I refuse to lose to anyone. Our team made it quite far in the tournament last year. So I tried to channel all my nerves and excitement into my game play.

      Things are normal for me in the first half of the match. It was a little boring but I was waiting for the third years to let their guard down. Then finally they did. I signal to Miku, who is now in front, that I want a toss. The ball is in her hands and I begin my sprint to the net from the back line. As I jump twords the net she sends the ball sailing my way. I pull my hand back ready to strike the ball. A second year and two third years manage to barely block my vision with their hands. The ball is now before me and like slow motion I find a break in their hands and spike the ball through.

      Speed returned to normal the ball breaks through and I fall to my feet. I hear the sound of the ball hitting the floor with great force and the sound of cheering. My team mates run up around me hitting my back with their hands. They say "good job," and "nice hit," but none of that matters. The sting of my hand after that perfect spike is reward enough.

      I continued my aerial assaults and picked up some of the slack from the first year lebro through the rest of the first set and the next two to follow. In the end we ended up lossing, but it was a lot of fun. I didn't really mind lossing to my team mates though. Yet something more exciting then a match was to come.