//J - 19//

Miss Kate gave us the rest of the team the afternoon off so that Michelle and I could practice the duet.

Michelle is a great dancer, she's always been super talented. When I first joined this studio I always looked up to her.

But this duet wasn't meant for her.

The truth is when I was choreographing it, I was thinking about Riley.

Michelle hasn't said a word to me all rehearsal and you can sense the tension when we dance. There's no connection there.

"Michelle, I'm sorry for what I did. I cheated on you, I know that and I deserve whatever you say to me. Riley had nothing to do with it, please don't get her involved in this," I say

Michelle looks up at me, "James, we've been best friends since you came here. I thought I could trust you and then because some new girl shows up, you act all differently?"

I shake my head, it's time to tell her the truth once and for all, "I still want to be friends with you, Michelle so I'm going to be honest from now on. I started dating you because... I thought that if I did, your father would give me a position in his business. I have no family, Michelle! You and your parents are basically my family since I was growing up,"

She shouts angrily, "If you think that way, then my father would have immediately given you a position!"

"Your father never liked me! I know he only saw me as a burden when he first picked me up in that car. He thinks I'm only good for making you happy. Don't you think that's why I moved out of the house?" I shout back

"So all this time, you were using me. Admit it, James. That's all I want to hear," She whispers emotionlessly

I stuffed up my life, I stuffed up my friendship with Michelle. It's all my fault, "Yes," I answer solemnly

She nods as if that's the answer she wanted to hear, "Just to let you know, James. I'm doing this duet the team, not for you,"

I nod. Michelle always prioritised the team before anything else. That's what makes her a great dance captain, her dedication to the role. She would put any personal feelings aside, even though it was killing her inside.

We practice the rest of the duet in silence. In Regionals, if we just dance our hardest it may hide the lack of chemistry we have in our duet.

I wish this duet was with Riley but she gave it back to Michelle without a fight.

At the end of our session, I pack my bag quietly. I have a shift at the café now. Michelle's Dad has cut off any contact with me so the deal is official over.

If I lose this job as well, I don't know what I'm supposed to do with my life.

***
A/N: that's how you know you messed up 🎤