//J - 25//

Riley: Hey

James: Hey! What's up?

Riley: Studio is getting shut down...

I read the text over and over in my mind until finally I turn my phone off. I've been looking for job applications all around town.

Usually Riley takes my mind off these things but now it's becoming even more real. My rent is due at the end of the week and my last payroll was when I got fired.

I don't have any food in my fridge at the moment. I slip on a hoodie and make my way outside to the shops.

There's only one reason I got fired from my job, Michelle's dad. We made a deal and I backed down out of it and I ruined whatever I had with Michelle. He's making me pay the consequence.

At the last second I decide on not going to the shops but to her house. I need to confront him now.

I knock on the large house and Michelle answers the door, "James?" She asks with a confused expression on her face

"I need to speak with your father," I mutter

I try to get inside but Michelle blocks me, "James, you are only going to make things worse,"

"Move, Michelle," I say harshly, it wasn't intended at her but all this anger has bottled inside of me and now it's finally being free.

She finally moves and I storm upstairs to his office, swinging the door open. He sits down on his chair and looks up in surprise.

"What the heck is your problem with me?" I shout angrily, "Do you know I spend all day working my butt off to have a normal life again? I know I used Michelle but that was only because you were pressuring me to. I had no choice and you know that! Why do you hate me?"

"James," He says calmly which only ticks me off even more, "Let me explain,"

I shake my head in frustration, "All I want is for you to leave me alone!"

He looks me in the eye, "James, listen please,"

I hesitate and sigh before I take a seat, there's no point in me coming here if I don't listen to anything he is going to say.

"You were not supposed to know about this but your parents... when you ran away, your parents told us to take care of you because they knew that they were not in a state of being able to do it,"

"You're lying," I whisper

He shakes his head and passes me a file on his desk, "This is a statement from your parents to give you under our care. We are close friends with them and they thought you would have a better life with us. James, I was planning on you to inherit the company. That's why I've been trying to get you to prove yourself to me so I know you have what it takes to run this company.

I stare at him speechlessly, "What does Michelle have to do with that?"

He sighs, "I thought that if you married Michelle when you got older, both of you would be able to run the company,"

"You realise now that I love someone else," I reply

He nods, "I completely understand that but are you willing to run this company when we are older?"

I look at him, if I agree, my life can be normal again. I could have Riley and a future but there's something else that's more important to me, I gotta follow my heart this time.

I take a deep breath, "No,"

***
A/N: I'm postponing writing the new book because I don't really know whether to make it a fanfic or an original story...

My original story's can be found on: @humblebragging if anyone was interested in seeing how I write differently. (P. S. The character's names are Logan and Noah which was just a random coincidence).

And I've changed the name of this story: There's a Reason We Belong + I finally have a cover yay!