//R - 22//

I can't believe it. James and Michelle did an amazing job on stage, I don't see how the judges did not see that.

Miss Kate look at us all with disappointed faces, "We lose some and we win some but we will improve next year,"

"Sure you will," A man's voice says from behind us.

We all turn around, I recognise him as Lucien, the owner of another dance studio. There are only two dance studios in our town, Elite and The Next Step.

I've never actually seen how Elite dances but I've heard of them. Miss Kate sometimes talks about them during rehearsals and from the look on everyone's faces, I can tell that we do not like Elite.

Miss Kate starts arguing with him and the rest of the team move out of the way, signalling that we have the rest of the day off.

James pulls his arms around my shoulder and leads me outside, "Did you want to hang out at my place, today? I've got no work today and summer break is finally here, Riley!" He shouts excitedly.

I smile at his enthusiasm. Somedays he acts older then he actually is, which isn't a bad thing but I do like him acting goofy because it takes all the stress away from him. James already lives alone with a part time job, yet he acts all chill about it.

I think that's what I admire about James, how he always doesn't crumble under the pressure when things get too hard.

I wish I could take the burden from his shoulder but he's refused my help several times to try and protect me from his problems.

But it's not going to work.

We are all feeling the disappointment from the loss. Maybe next year, things will look good for the team.

We catch a ride home on the bus, "I swear I'll get my drivers licence soon, Riley. I just don't have a..." He trails off, looking out the window

I know what he was going to say. He can't afford a car and I understand that. The bus pulls up at his street and we get off.

James unlocks his front door when his phone rings, "I have to take this," He whispers.

I nod and make my way to the couch, turning on the TV. My parents think I'll be at Regionals for the whole day so they won't mind if I stay at James' until the afternoon.

James comes back and lies down on the couch, placing his head on top of my legs. He's quiet and I know something's up.

"What's wrong?" I ask quietly.

James turns his head to look up at me, "I got cut from my job at the café," He whispers sadly.

I stare back at him, why doesn't everything bad have to happen to him, "What are we going to do?"

James shakes his head, "It's more of, what am I going to do,"

"Stop pushing me out of your life, James. You know I'm here for you so why can't you just accept my help?"

"Riley, I'm messed up. My life is in ruins right now and I don't want it to affect your life. You are perfect, I'm the one who needs mending," He whispers

"And I'll be the one who mends you," I whisper back.

***
A/N: There's a part 2 of this chapter, do you guys want it now or tomorrow?