Part 16: The Seer

The scene starts within a dark cave. The walls are lined with shelves of odd jars, glasses, and containers, as well as treasures. In the midst of it an old woman with gray hair and white eyes hobbles about in a dark cloak.

Thorson and Evan step into the doorway.

Evan: Are you sure you want to do this?

Thorson: I am sure I want the truth. (He spreads his arms in a defenseless gesture and speaks) Oh, wise and all seeing Mida, we have come to--

Mida: (laughs) Very impressive, but I have no need for such flattery. Enter. (Thorson and Evan enter the cave.) Ah, demigods! What have you to give me for my sight?

Evan: (Offering a chest, and setting it at her feet.) We bring gold--

Mida: Not...acceptable...not enough.

Thorson: What do you want?

Mida: You wear something under your tunic. (laughs and points at Thorson) I want that.

Thorson: What do you mean?

Mida: The thing around your neck.

Thorson: (hesitates, then pulls a necklace out from under his tunic) It was given to me by someone...very special, very dear to me.

Evan: You still have that? 

Thorson: It is all I have left.

Mida: Ah...I want to see it. (Holds out her hand expectantly, and Thorson slowly hands the necklace over.) A woman, yes? A woman, definitely!

Thorson: We saw in each other in secret for a time, against my father's wishes

Thorson: We saw in each other in secret for a time, against my father's wishes. She loved me, and I loved her.

Mida: Loved? Ah, she still does!

Thorson:  (puzzled) Thea died years ago--

Mida: (holds the stone with one hand and covers it with the other, closing her eyes) Her life force is weak, but she still draws breath, young demigod.

Thorson: But the child I heard--

Mida: (opens her eyes to look at Thorson) Is yours!

Thorson: Thea is alive?

Mida: (smiles) Yes.

Thorson: And we have a child?

Mida: Yes.

Thorson: How could such a thing be hidden from me? How could such a thing be hidden from a demigod about a mortal?

Mida: Simple.

Evan: By another demigod. Who told you she was dead?

Thorson: (quiet for a moment then becomes angry) Where is she? Where are they?