Part 29: The Show Must Go...

I awakened in back. The medics were in costumes, which told me that cameras were still rolling somewhere. I saw a playback of Tatiana running to the arena calling my name and the medics coming with carts disguised to look like chariots. She rode with my to the back. I saw Elizabeth with Gabriel, which was part of the deal. I looked off to see Evan standing with his father, the cameras focused on them.

"I am out."

"What?" Eli said, sitting up from the medical staff. They backed a step, recognizing his furious stare.

"I...am out," Evan swallowed hard. "I cannot withstand what you have done to the dome—our home—and I'm going my own way."

"The Dome is for us! It is for you, for—"

"Let Elizabeth take it, I'm done."

"Evan...? Evan!" Eli quickly saw cameras were still rolling, too.

"Father?" Elizabeth came into camera range. "Father, please, lie down." She tried to help him lay down but at the moment was too angry.

He swallowed hard, his expression becoming firm and resolved. "They always come back. They always come back to the Dome." He stared at his son who stood behind the cameraman, anger and hurt in his eyes. "They always come back."

The cameras cut off, and all was silent. Thunderous applause sounded from the arena. It was the biggest cliffhanger they'd ever had, but the crowds had no idea what was really happening.

"You want to tell me what the hell's going on?" Eli demanded as he laid back and let the medical attendants see to him. "What was that?!"

"I am leaving the show, Dad." Evan shook his head. "That was real—"

He sat up again, and his daughter gently tried to push him down. "What the hell are you thinking—"

"You're not a god, Dad," Evan shook his head. "These are people, Dad, people work for themselves—for you—and for us, and you play with them like pieces on a chessboard. I just...don't want to play anymore. I'll be in touch, okay? I just gotta get some air. I need to breathe."

"Evan? Evan!" Eli called, but his son moved from his sight. He shook his head in denial, whispering, "Damn it, Evan, this was for you--"

"Dad, you gotta lay down, now." Elizabeth pressed softly, holding his hand. "It'll be okay. Mom's coming."

"I'm okay," Eli growled. "Call and tell her I'm okay. She'll worry all the way here." He took a deep breath, and laid down.

Elizabeth cast a worried glance my way as she used her other hand to speed dial, and I was speechless at what I'd just seen.

"Niklaus?"

I turned to see Tatiana standing in the entryway of the medical area.

The medic standing over me, looked up. "Ma'am, it's a little crowded—"

"Let her in," Elizabeth ordered. "You okay?"

Tatiana looked shaky, but mustered a smile. "Yes, I think so. Reina is with our parents."

"Are you?" I asked, not believing it.

Tatiana's eyes met mine. In seconds her hand covered her mouth and she shook her head as tears welled up in her eyes.

"Come here, love."

She looked like she floated to me in the gown she wore. Her arm went across my upper chest, the other over my head. "Nik—"

"First, I'm okay, there's no need for tears," I caressed her cheek and tilted her chin up so our faces would meet. "Your segment wasn't planned."

"Not by Eli, no."

"Your eyes were white," I said slowly. "Does that mean what I think?"

"Seems so."

I couldn't help but smile, even if it hurt. "How's my son doing?"

Her tears shone as she giggled. "You don't know if it's a boy."

"If I say it's a boy, then it's a boy," I said with authority, though I was trying not to laugh. Laughing hurt. "Isn't that right, Godin?" I glanced at Eli, who gave a wave as if he made it so, ending his flourish with a middle finger. "See?"

"You're crazy."

I craned my neck a little to rub her nose with mine. "And yet, love, you're still here."

"I'm still here," she sighed, hugging me. "No place I'd rather be."