Part 27: D-Day Morn

The alarm went off, and I just laid there. I didn't want to open my eyes yet. This was it, today was the day. 

It was a long road to be here, right here with him. I just wanted to lay here, and just stay in bed. I didn't want to go to the Dome. I didn't want to see this fight between Niklaus and Eli happen. I just had a bad feeling about it.  And what's more, I wasn't feeling well. I just felt so nervous about everything my stomach had been doing flip flops the last few days at the mention of the fight.

I felt a warm hand over mine, and a shift in movement next to me. It was getting closer to me instead of away and off the bed. I felt lips kiss my forehead, my eyes, my nose, and finally, my mouth. I opened my eyes, looking into Niklaus's blue ones. "Hey."

"Good morning," Niklaus stroked my hair. "You okay? You've been really stressing the last few days."

"I'm fine, Nik, really," I stroked his hair. "I'm just nervous."

He observed me for a few seconds frowning, and then said, "If you don't want to come--"

"Ha!" I threw my head back, and laughed, making him laugh too. I shook my head at him, stroking his cheek. "I will be there, Nik, I can't imagine being anyplace else." I saw his smile broaden, his eyes glittering in the sun that peeked through the curtains of our room.

He gave a small sigh. "Well, at least my parents can look after you and Reina."

"I think Reina and I will be backstage," I said. "Thea and Rei wouldn't be in the stands, would they?"

He didn't like that, I could tell. "You have a point."

"Don't worry, we have friends, and I'm sure Elizabeth and Evan will be there for us."

He nodded. "I am supposed to get to the studio early. Do me a favor, give me the morning to get my head completely in this at the studio, check things out."

I nodded, "Okay. We'll be there at three."

"Perfect." He kissed my nose, and smiled. "I'll make sure to talk to you before the show starts, I promise." He was about to get up and I pulled him back down for a kiss. I felt tears come to my eyes. I ran my hands over him, the strong softness of his hair, the firmness of his shoulders, the planes of his back. 

He pulled away to look at me, and kissed my forehead. He stroked my hair, giving one of the most loving smiles I'd ever seen. "You and Reina are my world. We'll be alright."

"I know we will," I whispered. "We're together now."

We heard a knock at the door.

"I guess Grand Central is open," Niklaus rolled his eyes and grumbled, shaking his head, his smile wide as he turned onto his back and put his hands behind his head. "Come in!"

Brit opened the door. That was a surprise. "Reina wants you to take her to school."

Niklaus frowned at that. "Why didn't she ask me herself?"

"She's afraid to, I think, but keeps talking about how she misses you taking her."

I smiled at Niklaus and shrugged. "Well, we haven't had fruit smoothies in a while--"

"What?" I turned on to my side to look at him.

Niklaus's cheeks colored. "Okay, some days when I take her to school, we pick up fruit smoothies on the way in and talk about stuff."

"Stuff like what?"

"Daddy daughter stuff, that's what," Niklaus winked, raising his hand like he was being sworn in. "Can't tell." He turned to his mother. "How much time I got?"