Kabanata 2

Kabanata 2

Tracy

HUMIHIKBI kong hinawakan ang kamay ni Rouge matapos sabihin sa akin ng doktor na bukod sa naghilom na sugat sa tadyang nito, wala nang ma-trace ang mga doktor na iba pang maaaring maging sanhi para manatili si Rouge sa ganitong estado. 

He's in a vegetative state, at kahit ilang tests na ang ginawa ay talagang walang ibang makitang problema sa katawan niya.

"Like I said two days ago before we ran another series of tests on Mr. Embers, everything is normal. His brainwaves are as active as those who aren't in coma so I don't see any other reason for him to stay this way. Lalong hindi ko maintindihan kung ano ba talaga ang sanhi ng sudden seizures niya." Hinubad ng doktor ang suot na salamin at isinuksok sa bulsa bago ako muling tinignan. "If you still insist on conducting additional tests then I'll set the schedule as early as tomorrow."

Tumango na lamang ako. I heard Tina said thanks to the doctor. Nang makalabas ang doktor ay bumuntonghininga siya bago niya hinagod ang aking likod.

Rouge was in deep coma when they found him in a hospital of a small town ten miles away from Mount Vermont. Kung paano siya napadpad doon ay walang makapagsabi. All we know is that he was found by a local forest ranger and was rushed to the said hospital.

What puzzles everyone is his that all of his vital signs and test results are completely normal. Tila natutulog lamang siya sa hindi malamang dahilan. Isang bagay na labis na nagiging palaisipan sa mga pangkaraniwang tao.

Rhein, Rouge's twin sister is convinced that the healing wound in his body was from a lycan's bite. Ilang beses na akong sinabihan ni Rhein na lumapit na sa isang alpha na para bang ganoon siya kakumbinsidong madali lang iyon para sa akin. How would I do that? Ni ayaw akong patapakin ni Papa sa UCH at sa inner district ng Remorse.

The attending nurse went in then cleared her throat. "He needs a bite that could counter the first one. If he's bitten by an Omega who has no means of turning him into one of them, then his only way to live is to have an Alpha's bite. Tatlo ang uri ng kagat ng isang Lycan. The first one is the love mark. The bite that's given my the male lycan to his mate. The second one is the sire bite. That kind of bite will turn the victim into a weaker kind of them. The last bite is the poison bite. If that's what he got, then you are running out of time." 

Nagpunas ng luha si Tracy. "W—What?"

"Sa Mt. Vermont siya nakagat, hindi ba? Iyon ang sabi sa report. I am an omega myself and I felt the need to tell this to you. Lycans like me can paralyze someone with our bite and the only way to heal the victim is by having the bite from the Alpha whom we were supposed to submit to." Tiningnan nito si Rouge. "Vermont is in the highlands of the inner district of Remorse, and if I'm not mistaken, that's either in Brenther or in Astrid Pack's territory. He was bitten on the night of the wolf moon. The omegas who already turned their backs on their pack, probably felt something during that phenomenal night. Their wolves could've brought them back to their original home against their will so there's a huge chance that whoever attacked him, formerly belongs to one of the Packs in Remorse. That was a crazy night so the odds are actually pretty high since the Lycan King disappeared the same night your boyfriend was bitten. The Alphas of Remorse have no one they can anchor to so they're not as strong as they used to. Kung hindi ka aware, mayroon ding hierarchy ang aming uri. Naka-anchor ang pack sa alpha, habang naka-anchor naman ang bawat alpha sa Lycan King ng bawat rehiyon."

Nagkatinginan kami ni Tina. The Lycan King helps keep the savages of the inner district from misbehaving. If one of the Alphas will go crazy and declare war against the other alphas, siguradong pati kaming nasa labas ng inner district ay madadamay. 

Tina inhaled a sharp breath. "Iniimbestigahan pa iyon ng UCH kaya hindi pa makumpirma dahil dine-deny ng mga pinuno ng Remorse Packs ang insidente, pero malakas ang kutob ng head hunters na maaaring maging problema sa lahat, lalo na sa mga normal kung anuman ang nangyayari sa loob ng Distrito."

Lumunok si Tracy. "W-What's the worst thing that could happen when they don't have their King?"

"The unmated alphas will have a hard time controlling themselves. Hindi iyon pwedeng mangyari dahil sa kanila naka-anchor ang bawat pack. This is why their King is important. They may not be the biggest group of lycans in the world, but they have the strongest Lycan King. Without King Bjourne Benedict, the Remorse District might have a hard time sticking together because most of their current alphas are not yet mated, and an unmated alpha is deadlier than a whole pack of omegas," ani Tina. 

The nurse collected his things and headed to the door. "It's been six months since he was bitten. Maybe you should get help from an Alpha already before the venom reaches his heart. At kung ako ang tatanungin, it's better to seek help from Astrid." He sighed. "You would never want to set foot on the other city near Mt. Vermont. Alpha Layco Magnison isn't fond of humans after all. He will never hesitate to kill anyone who doesn't belong to his pack . . ."

I heaved a sigh the moment the nurse left the room. Pinakatitigan ko si Rouge habang nagtatalo ang aking isip at puso. I know I should never disobey my Dad. Kahit kailan naman ay hindi ko pa iyon ginawa. I am always in the safe zone. Hindi lang dahil takot akong pagalitan kun'di takot ako sa mga bagay na hindi ko lubusang naiintindihan. 

"Anong gagawin natin?" Tina asked.

I pursed my lips and held Rouge's hand while my heart and mind continued to battle. I'm scared of the inner district but I am more terrified to lose Rouge. 

"Tracy?" tawag ni Tina.

Pinakawalan ko ang mabigat na hangin sa aking dibdib saka ako pikit-matang nagdesisyon. "I'm . . . gonna seek help . . . from the inner district."

"Pero paano si tito Theo? I mean, tito Theo might get uber-angry kung tutuloy ka. Besides, sinabi na niya sa'yo na huwag kang makikialam. He promised to get in touch with the right people huwag ka lang ma-involve," may pag-aalalang ani ni Tina.

I opened my eyes and kept my gaze on Rouge's face. "Kung walang magsasabi sa kanya, hindi niya malalaman."

Tina sighed. "Look, I don't really understand why tito Theo doesn't want you to meddle on this one. It's like he's really keeping you away from the Inner District of Remorse to think na doon naman galing ang pamilya ninyo bago siya nagretiro at lumipat sa Castañier. Anyway, he's probably got reasons, okay? Hindi ka lang din siguro niya gustong mapahamak kaya ayaw ka niyang patapakin sa lugar na 'yon."

May punto naman si Tina kaya lang ay talagang kailangan kong humanap ng paraan para kay Rouge. He cannot stay this way forever. Kung totoo ang sinabi ng nurse sa amin, then Rouge is in grave danger.

I can't afford to lose him...

Humugot ako ng malalim na hininga at tuluyang winaksi ang takot na unti-unting namumuo sa aking dibdib. Hang in there, Rouge. I'll find the help that you need.

"Tracy, talk to me. Please tell me you're not considering--"

"My decision is final." May paninindigan kong tinitigan si Tina. "I'm going to see one of those beasts to save Rouge . . ."