10: Emma's Past (part 1)

Emma's P.O.V

I admit they all had a reason to avoid me. Everyone did. Lucky for me there was one person who didn't care. My sister Hal. She was always there for me, even when they all died. We were the only survivors in the whole town. 

My mother and father both went into the army business a long time ago. So Hal and I lived with our grandparents. Papa and Grandma always loved us and I loved them back. Then came to the day I figured out the truth. People disappeared from our small town every year. It was just how that went. I was always told that they just don't like the location. I was at school with Hal and I sat in my desk. 

"Okay kids. I'm sorry to say this but school will be getting out early today. In a few hours we will be sending all of the kids home." our teacher told us. I never understood why, but I heard some teacher talking and they said they wanted all of the kids out of the school so they can search it. Something about a letter sent about the kids or something like that. So I skipped home with Hal following me in deep thought. 

"Hey Hal? What's the matter?" I asked her. She looked over to me. 

"Oh nothing. Just thinking about a few things." she answered me. I shrugged off the weird look on her face and we both headed home. When I entered out house I spoke.

"School got out early. Hello?" I asked as I entered the house. I then saw my my grandma and grandpa in the kitchen with bloody aprons on. They cleaned butcher knives in the sink and I walked up to them. 

"Hey Emma. Have a good day?" Papa asked. I nodded. Hal came up behind me and smiled at them. 

"So what are you doing?" Hal asked them. 

"Just cleaning up." My grandma answered out question. 

"How about you guys go and play. We will call you for supper later." Papa told us. I nodded and Hal came with me to go play a game. First we played some Monopoly, then some checkers, and then my personal favorite . . . Dinosaur!

One person is a T-Rex and the rest are humans. You run and hide from the T-Rex that wants to eat you. If you see the Dinosaur you can hold still to stop from being spotted. In later levels of the game you can have a stick to use as a bone. If you have the bone and the Dino chases you you can throw it to keep him or her away. I love that game so much. Hal was chosen to be the Dinosaur and I hid behind a tree waiting for her to find me. She held me arms in close to her body mimiking the small arms that a T-Rex has. 

She spotted me and I ran from her as she chased after my with a roar. When I looked back to see her I tripped over something hard. The corner to the cellar door. I rubbed my head and stared at it hearing sounds from the inside. Was that, a cry. Then a muffled scream. I looked at Hal and we both looked at the doors scared.

"Should we get Papa and Grandma?" I asked her. She shook her head and opened the cellar doors. As the curious sister that she was, we both entered the basement. Then we saw the unspeakable. Chairs, chain, hostages, blood, and so much more. Papa and Grandma stood there carving on a young human girl that was strapped onto a table. I fell to the ground coughing. Eventually I threw up. My sister put her hand on my back. 

"Papa. Grandma. What is this?" I asked. Hal stood there shaking. They grabbed me and Hal by the arms pulling us over and chained us to the wall. My hands tried to pull the metal brace on my left wrist off, but it was useless. Hal was in the same boat. We were hostages now. Our grandparents then paced down a plate in front of each of us. It held a steak, yet I knew what it was. Human. 

"Your cannibals." Hal stated. 

"Indeed we are." Grandma replied. 

"We've been eating human meat?" I gagged at the thought. 

"Don't worry Emma. Both the tongue of you and your sisters have not yet tasted the flavor of a human, yet now you will. All you will be fed is the human meat. Eventually both of you will cave in. Until then you guys are going to be 'sick' from school." Papa told me.

"You're the reasons why the kids are going missing!" Hal yelled.

"Adults have a weird taste. Eating the children is a wonderful experience." Grandma speculated. After that they left us alone. The didn't come down very often after that. Every three hours they would let us have a drink and use the bathroom. No food though. All we had to eat was the human meat that they left out.

Days passed and my belly grumbled in sink with Hal's. They definently knew how to get us to cave into the pressure.Slowly they lowered our water portions saying we need to eat the steak first. Not to mention everyday they slid the plates closer and closer. My mouth watered as I thought about the taste of meat. I knew I have never tasted a human before, or so they said. I guess they were waiting for the right time. In my opinion, I need to eat something, even if it happens to be a child. My hand started to reach for the steak.

"Emma! No!" Hal yelled. I yanked back. I get it.

"We're going to die if we don't eat." I told Hal. She looked down. I reached for the steak again, and picked it up with my hands. I braced myself for the first time I take a bite of a human. Then my teeth latched on, and I swallowed the bite. 

--------------------

There will be a part two to Emma's story because of how long it is. Next chapter will probably be shorter.