Chapter 8

"If he's in the room I was in, couldn't you teleport us into the room?" Biana said. 

"We can try. If I can't teleport into there, we could teleport right outside the tower, and fight our way in." I said, and they all nodded. Once again, we were all outfitted with weapons and Dex fiddled with another one of the exploding devices. I kept my gloves on, knowing we'd be in close quarters with the enemy and not wanting to be taken advantage of. We leaped to Havenfield, and climbed up to the cliff. I gripped Biana's hand as well as Dex's. Linh held hands with Dex, and Tam gripped Linh's hand. Keefe had taken Biana's other hand. I glanced at my best friends, and nodded. Keefe and Tam gripped Melders in their free hands, ready to shoot at any rebels. I pulled them off the cliff, opening up the void. When we entered the void, I imagined the room we found Biana in. Surprisingly, it worked, and we all landed in there. There was a group of people, and I could see Fitz in the middle, squeezing his eyes shut as an unfamiliar face tried to get past his blocking. I nodded at Dex, surprised we haven't been noticed yet. They surrounded me, protecting me as I connected my mind with Fitz's, sending him energy to keep his blocking up. I was just in time though, as I could tell he was about to run out of energy to keep the telepath out. 

"His blocking just got a whole lot stronger!" The telepath exclaimed, removing his fingers from Fitz's temples.

Thanks. Fitz transmitted. 

No problem. I transmitted back, as the whole group of people turned to face us. They barely had time to react before I hit them with a wave of pain. As Fitz was strapped down to the chair, he couldn't move. I continued to inflict, thinking of all the pain they had caused me in the 7 years I've been in the Elven world. The knot of emotions that was right below my gut was used up, but that didn't matter. I had enough memories of pain and other horrible emotions to last a lifetime. Eventually, all of them went unconscious from the pain and we could reach Fitz. I rushed to his side, unstrapping him. He stood up, leaning against me. He must've used all his energy keeping the telepath out. Then, a new round of guards came in and the group surrounded me and Fitz, cutting us off from our friends. I reached for my home crystal, but as fast as I could get it, a guard had smacked it out of my hand, making the crystal slid over to where Dex was standing. Before one of the guards could snatch it, he picked it up and stuffed it in his pocket.

"Look, we got the two cognates. They can't do anything without them." A guard sneered, glaring at me and Fitz. 

You get those three and I'll get the other three.  Fitz transmitted.

No. You don't have enough energy for that, Fitz. I transmitted back. 

How else are we going to get out?  

I......I can inflict again. 

Do you have enough energy for that again? 

I'll have to. I replied, before squeezing my eyes shut and inflicting once more. I successfully made the guards unconscious, but not before almost collapsing in exhaustion. Fitz and I used each other as support, as Dex leaped us away. We arrived at Havenfield, since Dex had used the most accessible crystal, which was my home crystal. Fitz and I continued to use each other as support as our friends joined us. Grady noticed us first, rushing out and hailing Alden. 

"Alden, get over here. They're back with Fitz, and both him and Sophie look like they're about to collapse." Grady said in a rush. 

"That's because we are." I said fighting to keep my eyes open. I failed, collapsing. Grady caught me, before having to catch Fitz, who was relying on me for support. 

"They should sleep in their own beds tonight." Grady said.

"No." Biana interrupted. "Both of them would want to wake up next to each other, if only so they know the other is safe." She continued. "They would freak if the first thing they saw when they woke up wasn't each other." She whispered. Grady nodded, and Alden, who had arrived a minute ago, carried Fitz to my room. I gave in to sleep, feeling Grady tuck me in and Fitz subconsciously wrapping his arms around my waist. 

~~~

I woke up, with Fitz's arms still around me. Edaline was reading a book in a chair by my bed, humming a tune. Fitz shifted, catching Edaline's attention.

"Oh, Sophie! You're awake!" Edaline exclaimed. 

"Hey." I said, giving her a small smile. 

"You worried us there for a little." 

"How long was I asleep?" 

"Little over a day now." She admitted. "Biana said you went all out on those Neverseen rebels." 

"I had to. They were surrounding Fitz the first time, and then they surrounded us and we didn't have a way to get out." 

Morning princess. Fitz transmitted, having woken up. 

Morning Fitz. I replied, turning to face him. 

Thanks for helping me back there. 

I'd do it again if I had to.

I really hope you don't have to. 

I hope so too. 

Maybe staying out of the Black Swan is a good idea for now. He admitted. Let them deal with the Neverseen without us for a change. 

Yeah, I guess. 

It's almost your birthday. 

Yeah, almost. 

We should make a new deal if Keefe and Biana get each other as their number ones. 

Like what?

Like............If they get each other as their number ones and get together then.......then......

what?

You apply to be a councillor. He decided. I remembered that Karina was stepping down from her position, and they were in search of a new councillor. 

Councillors can't marry, Fitz. 

I know, but you'd make a great councillor. 

I want to marry though. 

Me?

Well you are my boyfriend.

You want to marry me?

Not right this moment, of  course. But I can't imagine marrying anyone else. Which is why you, my dear Fitz, are going to be my number one. Even if you're not really my number one. Doubtful, but still.

Aw. Maybe the council would make an exception for you though. 

You really think so? Really? They like to stick by their rules. 

You just have to ask. 

Fine. But only if Keefe and Biana get each other as their number ones. 

Deal. Edaline had left and returned with Grady, Alden and Della. Grady hugged me as Alden and Della hugged Fitz, before Della wrapped me in a hug. 

"Thank you. For saving our son." She whispered in my ear. 

"He'd do the same for me. And I'd do it for my friend group. And I'd do it for you guys too." I whispered back, and that made her hug me even tighter.