Chapter Nine

"SOPHIE!" Biana said, jumping up and down with a scroll in her hand.

"Yes, Biana. I know. It's my birthday. We get our matchmaking scrolls." I said, rolling my eyes and chuckling.

"If you and Fitz don't get each other, then I'm going to have a tantrum and demand the reevaluate." She declared. I laughed, dodging a pillow she chucked at me for laughing at her. 

"We have to wait for Keefe, Dex, Tam and Linh, Bi!" I said, as she started to open her scroll. She pouted, and stared at the door. Soon enough, the remaining four elves in our friend group appeared.

Fitz! Get down here, you little lazy bum! I transmitted. Last time I checked, he was still in bed reading. 

Fine, coming. You're lucky I love you. He transmitted back.

Last time I checked you were more excited for today than I was. 

Right it's your birthday! Sorry sweetheart!

Again with the nicknames?

Yes! I sighed and saw the 21 year old appear in the room, and he smirked at me, taking a seat beside me and wrapping his arms around my waist as Biana chucked his scroll at him. She was aiming for him, but it ended up hitting me in my face.

"Sorry Soph!" Biana said immediately, and I started to laugh.

"Alright, let's do this." Linh said, opening her scroll. I did the same, glancing at the bottom of the list first before going to the top. 

Top Tiers for Sophie Elizabeth Foster-Ruewen

1. Fitzroy Vacker

2. Keefe Sencen

.......

15. Tam Song

......

20. Dexter Dizznee

"Who'd you get, Fitz?" I asked, and he grinned.

"Only the most beautiful girl in the whole wide world, who happens to be in my arms right now." He replied.

"That was corny, Fitz." I said, giggling. 

"KEEFE!" Biana shrieked, staring at the jokester. 

"WHAT?" Keefe mimicked, and Biana scowled at him. 

"You're my number one!" She said. Fitz smirked at me, and I groaned. 

"You're my number one." He said seriously, and Biana shrieked again, before throwing herself at Keefe. 

"Whoa there, Biana." Keefe mumbled, overwhelmed by her emotions. 

"Well then." I said, and I got up. "I've got to go do something." I said, grimacing. 

"What? Why?" Biana pouted.

"Fitz and I made a deal." I began.

"That if you two got each other." Fitz continued. 

"That I would apply for the open councillor spot." I concluded.

"Those two are too cute." Biana said, before she processed exactly what I said.

"WHAT? BUT COUNCILLORS CAN'T MARRY!" She shrieked.

"I know." I replied.

"We thought they might make an exception for Sophie." Fitz admitted. 

"Well then, in that case go!" Biana said, shoving me and Fitz towards the leapmaster. 

"Lumenaria!" I shouted, and we leaped away. We went to the capital building, and were met with all the current councillors.

"Alright." Emery said. 

"You wish to apply for the empty space." Terik said, raising his eyebrows.

"Well you got it." Emery concluded after a moment. "We put you on the ballot just incase, and you won."

"I.......I want to marry, yet I know I can't if I take the position." I murmured. 

"Well, I guess." Emery started. He went silent, and I knew they were having a silent conversation. "I'm assuming you want to marry Fitzroy?" He said, using Fitz's full name. 

"Yes, that's my intention at least." I replied. "He has yet to propose." I said, giggling. 

"Very well." Emery announce. 

"Councillor Sophie Ruewen" Terik said.

"Councillor Sophie Ruewen. I like the sound of that." Oralie said, smiling. 

"And eventually Councillor Sophie  Vacker." I said, smiling.

"Oh, there might be two Vacker councillors." Emery muttered. "I've had enough of my position as head councillor." He announced. "If....If Fitz is willing...." He stated.

"If I was willing?" Fitz prompted.

"Would you be willing to take my place?" He finally asked. 

"I'd be a great advantage to have two councillors who were cognates and the most powerful telepaths, or elves for that matter." Bronte admitted. Fitz blinked in surprise. 

"Would we not have to vote?" Fitz inquired. 

"Once again, we sent out another ballot asking for who should take my place once I leave. You won." Emery admitted.

"And we did not get this why?" 

"You didn't get it?" Terik said, confused. 

"Alden and Della must've filled it out before you got home and sent it back." I said, laughing. "Same with Grady and Edaline, probably." 

"I...I don't know what to say." Fitz said, blushing and rubbing the back of his neck. "I guess I'll accept." He said after a moment. 

"Councillor Fitz." I stated. "I do like the sound of that." I admitted, and he grinned at me.

"I like the sound of Councillor Sophie more than you like the sound of Councillor Fitz." He retorted. 

"Oh please. That's impossible, Fitz." 

"We have to lovebirds for councillors. Should be fun." Clarette said. I laughed, as a familiar shape glided down beside me and nuzzled me.

"Silveny!" I exclaimed, laughing at the councillors shock. 

"How's the foal?" I asked the alicorn. She sent me a recent memory of them galloping across the plains, and I smiled. 

"And we have the only elf who can speak to animals telepathically." Ramira pointed out.

"Hey! I can tell animals what to do!" Clarette said, and I laughed, speaking to Clarette in Gnomish. 

"I have not tried yet, but I would like to attempt something of the sorts on Verdi. Maybe then she can finally be moved to the Sanctuary." I said, smiling. 

"Ah, the untameable T-Rex. She's a handful, isn't she?" Clarette responded in Gnomish. 

"Always has been." 

"And now we have to polyglots who can talk to each other in random languages that nobody knows." Terik said, smirking. 

"That was Gnomish." I supplied, grinning at Clarette. 

"Well, get back to your friends, Councillors. I'm sure they're eager to hear the news." Emery said, chuckling. We both grinned and nodded, leaping back to Everglen after our imparters we cleared to hail everybody, and modified so we had to give people permission to hail us. 

"Will our friends be able to contact us still? Do we have to give them permission?" I asked before we leaped away.

"Yes. All new people have to be given permission, however." Terik said, and with that we were finally off.