Chapter 6

The sun was now a mere thought as the darkness of the night submerged it below the horizon. Silver stars colored the indigo sky as we knocked on Zinnias door. Her home here in the village was larger than most, and not because we gave her money for it - she refused it all - but because she herself worked hard to live the life that she does. And as being one of the top seller of weapons not only in her village, she's made a name for herself.

     Light from the candles lit inside her home shone through the square window on her front door. A women's shadow passed by before I could knock and then the door swung open. 

     "I feel as if I should be hurt it took you this long to check on me," Zinnia said standing in the doorway, her short linen dress clinging to her shaped body that has grown more womanly over the years. Her eyes shifting from me to Nazim behind me. Her dark shaped brow arched, ready to hear whatever excuse Nazim said.

     But I stepped inside the house and embraced my sister in law and she held me just as tightly. "I've missed you," I whispered into her ear.

     I didn't give her a chance to reply before I pulled away and said a bit louder and more casually, "The reason it took me so long to get here was because the king felt as if I should not be a part of this issue."

     Zinnia's eyes squinted with confusion, waiting for me to explain. 

     "Before I go any further, we need to spend the night here Z, and then we'll be out of your way before the sun rises to go talk to some sailors in the morning."

     She rolled her eyes dramatically and opened the door wider to let Nazim in as well. He walked in slowly as if he's never been in this house. Zinnia quickly shut the door once he was in and started walking towards the kitchen. 

     "So you two are just using me for a warm bed? So typical of you royals," she snorted over her shoulder. She said it lightly enough as a joke, but there was an underlining tone there for the other royal in the room.

     "All beds are warm in summer Z, don't be so arrogant," I joked.

       We sat ourselves on her thin white stone dining table, Nazim looking uncomfortably stiff. I wondered when was the last time he'd actually seen Zinna before now, let alone been in this house since they broke up. I poked him in his ribs under the table and mouthed "Relax." 

     His shoulders loosened in tension as he released a deep breath. The sound of bare feet along the floor were the only noise while Zinnia came in holding a cup of tea in her hand. She placed it casually in front of Nazim as she took the seat next to me. And before he could object she merely said, "It's chamomile, you look like you haven't slept in weeks."

     He took the class in his hands and said "Thank you."

     Steam rose from the cup, "You need it a little cold?" I asked.

     "Just a little."

     Zinnias eyes met mine and I read what she wanted me to do. The steam vanished, and right when he brought it to his lips, I froze the liquid solid. Slowly he set the tea back onto the table and stared me down, nostrils flaring out with frustration. Zinnia turn her head away to look out the window, as if it was the most important thing in the world, in order to hide her smile. 

     "Cousin."

     "Ugh, fine. You're no fun to play with when you're tired," I complained, "Just drink your tea and go to sleep. I'll stay and catch Zinnia up with the royal drama."

     "You know where the guest bedroom is," Zinnia said, dismissing him. The smile on her face was gone.

      The tea went back to its liquid form, "I forgot how annoying you two together can be," Nazim said as he chugged his tea in one gulp and walked out of the room.