Chapter 42

"This never gets easier," I said into Ray's neck. I had said goodbye to everyone there so easily, I had said goodbye to my husband and children countless of times when I went into summer, but this time it was harder. Maybe it was because the last time I left winter, Nazim and I almost died out in sea, or maybe because I was going into my enemies land. Sure, I had gone into the enemies land a few years ago and discovered summer, but this was far different. My mother manipulated that trip and kept her claws into me. This time around though, no one was controlling my actions except for myself. 

     "I could still come with you."

     I shook my head just a fraction, he could not. If things didn't go the way Alagan and I had planned, then I needed him here with the kids. The kids were new with their powers, but no one would see winter without a Royal ever again.

     "I love you with every inch of myself," I replied.

     "Come back to me."

     I pulled away from him and kissed him to get rid of all the nerves I had in my body. On second thought maybe he should come, kissing him calmed me down.

     No one dared to rush us, but when Ray and I stopped I felt a hand on my shoulder.

     "The quicker we leave, the quicker we get back," Aunt Palma said to me.

     There were five horses for us all; Clovis, Alagan, Aunt Palma, Nazim and for myself. Plus Nuri. Again, since my pregnancy he has refused to leave my side. His protective nature was going to do what it wanted and not even I could stop him if I wanted to. 

     I looked at my castle that was filled with workers and the other half of my council that was staying behind. My knights were in their armer, ready for a fight, and so was I. The time was finally here, I was doing this for them. Everything I was doing was for peace, even if I had to shed someones blood for it.

     "I promise that I am going to make things right. I promise you this," I held onto Rays cheak, he kissed each one of my fingers as I started to pull away. The twins were on each of his legs, Yana and Hudson to my left, Zinnia and Lave to Ray's right. I had these people counting on me, and I was not going to let them down.

     Forcing myself to step away from them made my heart sink deep into my stomach, but I had to ignore my feelings as I climbed up my horse. I turned back one last time to memorize the picture before me.

     "For what it's worth," Alagan said to my side, "you've made a beautiful home."

     Those were the same words I told him when we left his island to come to the main lands. My own words were echoing back to me for comfort. And it gave me the confidence I needed to kick my horse into start. 

     There was no turning back, we were on our way to Spring.

***

     Because I took back my land and then some from Spring, getting there would take some time. A few weeks. And that was just getting to the boarder, not even the castle. But nevertheless, the horses took us during the days while they, and us, rested the nights. None of us really spoke the first few weeks, not even Clovis, but as we got closer to the boarder he picked that up.

     "I can't wait to get out of this snow! The land in spring is so beautiful that you'll never want to leave it Evie."

    "No, I'm sure the land is absolutely breathtaking, the people on the other hand are another situation."

     We all sat around my blue flames under the ice dome I created to keep us sheltered for the nights. Nuri was sound asleep on his back on the other side of the horses but his snoring could be heard from the fire.